2003 Corolla Blower Problems

My AC/heater has problems. It started when all but the highest setting for the blower stopped work. I decided to live with it for a few months by just having the AC/heater on full blast or completely off. Now while it still works, it makes an ungodly racket when it is on full blast. I figure I better take it to a repairman but maybe someone can clue me in as to what is going on?

the blower motor is one speed -

What car makers typical do to provide blower speed control is to wire the power to the blower motor through various sized resistors - one for each lower-than-high speed. These are usually mounted in the air stream of the blower to cool them. When they get dirty they tend to run hotter until they burn out. This is why often you will end up with only the direct-wired high speed working. I never allow anything but feet on my passenger side front floor as this is where the blower intakes air from.

What kind of loud noise do you have? Squealing? Grinding? Crunching? A bearing noise or . . . maybe something caught in the blower wheel? A leaf? A plastic bag or candy wrapper? Etc.?

PHM
------

My AC/heater has problems. It started when all but the highest setting for the blower stopped work. I decided to live with it for a few months by just having the AC/heater on full blast or completely off. Now while it still works, it makes an ungodly racket when it is on full blast. I figure I better take it to a repairman but maybe someone can clue me in as to what is going on?

What kind of loud noise do you have? Squealing? Grinding? Crunching? A bearing noise or . . . maybe something caught in the blower wheel? A leaf? A plastic bag or candy wrapper? Etc.?

PHM
------[/QUOTE]
It is a squealing noise that continues for some minutes. Sometimes if you just bear with it, it goes away, but lately I just live without the heat on, which is difficult in Chicago this time of year.

Sounds like it might be a dry bearing

Especially if it's worse in cold weather - the bearing squeals until the friction makes it hot enough to make some remaining bit of lube run onto it. <g>

Why not pull it out and oil both ends of the shaft? At the shaft end you can either pull the wheel or squirt oil messily under it and onto the shaft while turning the shaft to help the oil flow in.

And on the end opposite the shaft there is usually a bulge which you can drill a 1/8" 'oil hole' into. Try to make the hole where it will be on top with the motor re-installed in the car. Repeatedly fill both ends with oil - often there is a felt wicking surrounding the the bearings - originally wet with oil - but perhaps now dried out.

Although replacement blower motors are generally cheap enough that unless you are willing to experiment - maybe just replace it?

If it was relatively easy to get out I would try re-oiling it I think. If it was a PITA to get out - I would replace it. But I do love the 'cheating the system' (so to speak) 'feel' of doing things like "just oiling it". <g>

PHM
--------

PHM
------
It is a squealing noise that continues for some minutes. Sometimes if you just bear with it, it goes away, but lately I just live without the heat on, which is difficult in Chicago this time of year.[/QUOTE]

Im having this same issue with my 98 corolla whenever i turn the heat or a/c or i get that huge squeel and its clearly coming from under the dash not from under the hood of the car. Do i have the same issue the OP has?

I have had things stuck in the blower wheel

And also a broken blower wheel rubbing slightly on the housing. But my first guess would be a dry bad bearing complaining: begging for some oil. <g>

As I said before; if the blower motor is easy to get to, and/or easy to get out, you could try oiling it with some motor oil. Maybe even test run it while it's out to make sure the problem is gone.

If you take it out also look for worn spots on the wheel - to see if it has been rubbing on anything.

BTW: You may have to drill a small hole (say; 1/8" diameter) into the bearing housing in order to get oil to the off-side bearing. The shaft end bearing is easy. Altough even there you might want to drill an oiling hole on the side which will be higher when the motor is re-installed.

But if the blower motor is a big PITA to get out - then I would vote for replacing it over experimenting with it. <g>

PHM
------

Im having this same issue with my 98 corolla whenever i turn the heat or a/c or i get that huge squeel and its clearly coming from under the dash not from under the hood of the car. Do i have the same issue the OP has?

I'll pass on that and just replace it considering its only about $60 at the dealer, i like to have the peace of mind that since its brand new i wont have any problems with it in the long run and i'll only be doing the job once.

I'll pass on that and just replace it considering its only about $60 at the dealer, i like to have the peace of mind that since its brand new i wont have any problems with it in the long run and i'll only be doing the job once.
Don't count on it. I've had three blower motors replaced under warranty. I think there are some electrical issues that cause mine to keep failing. Hope you have better luck!

Thankfully, blower motors are easy to replace and fairly cheap. I have also heard of others simply opening it up and cleaning it out and works good as new.