2003 Corolla Issues

Hi,
One month ago I purchased Toyota corolla 2003 LE, 105,000 miles. I love the car and its red color. I have noticed that the heating motor is very loud when on the highest settings , only happens when I use warm (red) and white settings when i change it to blue(cold ettings) it is fine. Is it normal for this car? It makes very loud buzzing sound from the main unit. It's not noticeable unless it is on the highest setting.My old car never made such loud sound -nissan sentra
I am also concerned because I already have to put money into this car. There is a significant amount of rust on the roof, the engine light is on, the rototors seem to be warped.
These cars are not cheap to begin with ...even for being 10 years old. I am wondering if I should look for a different corolla because the rust and loud heater bother me but I do not know if this is normal. Please let me know how your heat works on the highest settings when it comes to your corolla , specifically 2003-2008 years.Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
It is not normal for a car to have a rusty hood. The only solution for that is to replace the hood. For not a whole lot of money, a good used one can be had from a junkyard and repainted to match the rest of the car, or if you're lucky you can find a hood that matches the color of your car.

As for the blower motor and how loud it is or not, I can't say as I can't hear it of course. If it is louder than normal, it could indicate a failing blower motor. They aren't terribly expensive to replace.

At 105,000 miles virtually any car will need maintenance and repairs. This is normal. Cars are a never ending process of maintenance and repairs. All cars need maintenance and repairs to keep them going. Again, this is quite normal.

Being an economy car, Corolla's are typically less expensive to maintain and repair than other cars.

the rust is on the roof too and that's s big problem

The roof is rusting. Auto body places don't want to repair it because it will come back. I might look for a diffident car.i have had a car that rusted out and it can get really bad

Even the roof is rusting? I have to say, in all my 30 years in the automotive repair/maintenance industry, I have never seen that before. Can you get some pictures of this to post here? I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to take a look at this.

If even the roof is rusting, this sounds suspiciously like it might be a flood car. Do you live in an area that had a flood sometime in the past? If this is a flood car, you don't want it, no way, no how.

rust on the roof

In my ori original post I meant that the roof is rusting not the hood. I apologize that was my mistake. having said that the repair will be costly. it looks like defect in the paint ,its not that bad yet but it's getting there... I used to have a car that rusted outbecause I kept it for years so I'm kinda sensitive to this problem. I have talked to a few auto body places and three of them didn't even want to do that job because they said the rust will come back. 2 autobody places told me they can only fix it by removing the windshield and it might break.it is expensive and extensive work that if it is not done right will make the problem come back.that's too bad because I really like the car but I don't wanna deal with the rust. perhaps you can advise me something. I do not know what the deal with this is . perhaps somebody replaced the windshield, it looks like the rust was paint over because I see some on the rubber strip. one guy told me that it is comonn for corollas to rust on the roof but I have looked at a few corollas and I have not seen one between 2003 and 2008 with this problem

Attachments

Last edited:
'05 corolla CE100k+ miles

Hi Pink,

My corolla is 8 years old and both my heat and cold work the same way as the day I bought it. I have never even had to recharge my AC. I notice that my AC runs a little sluggish towards the end of my cabin air filter's life. Maybe you might want to switch it out?

The only problem I have is that my dials don't stay lit on the right side. The left half stays lit ( Top, Top/Botton, Bottom, Defrost, Defrost/Low Vent dial), Middle (Low-Highest setting dial), and right (cold, warm, hot dial) side of the panel. If I turn the cold, warm, hot dial left to right then it eventually turned on. Now it doesn't do that anymore, but other than that I don't have any problems witht he way my unit actually functions.

Let me know if you have any other questions or ever want to swap information.

Adrian