2003 Corolla S Chip?

I've been looking into buying a performance chip for my 2003 Toyota Corolla S in order to gain some HP and it says increase fuel economy as well. This would just be a pre-programmed chip that connects directly into your OBD2 port. I dont know if you have to leave it plugged in order for it to continue working or you just plug it in and let it do its thing and plug it back out? And do you guys know if its even worth my 250 bucks for it? will it actually give me 10-40 more hp or anything at all?

From what I have experienced, these chips just change the maximum horsepower and torque available to different RPM's, usually higher up in the RPM scale. I've never seen any documented test results for increased fuel economy for these chips. Also, if your state has annual safety/emissions testing, an alteration like this could cause your vehicle to fail emissions testing. Especially at a price of 250 smackeroonies, if it were me, I'd run the other way, fast. $250 can be used to far greater affect.

For better acceleration and fuel economy both, you want to go for increases in torque and not horsepower.

Those chips aren't worth it. You only see gains from chips on OEM turbo vehicles (since those are limited by computer for reliability and mileage).

Naturally aspirated engines with no modifications run at their optimum on the stock trim settings in the PCM.