2004 Corolla - Aftermarket Catalytic Converter Recommendations

My son was told by his local Toyota dealership that his 2004 Corolla needs a new catalytic converter. They gave a price of $1700 just for the part.
Has anyone had a good experience with an aftermarket cat? I've heard of drop in replacements, any luck with one of those?
I don't have the info from the dealer that supports their diagnosis but if I assume it's accurate I would really appreciate some guidance on how to do this for a reasonable price.
Thanks!

Kev250R

This is my other car
I'll re-post it, though I like Scott's suggestion to get Toyota to cover it. If that's not an option this might work for you:

In California you're supposed to use a CARB-approved converter which means you're stuck buying an OEM converter which is $$. Aftermarket converters are a lot less money. I needed to replace the converters on an old Silverado I used to have, it was over ten years old and had 280K miles on it so whatever warranty it had was gone. I paid $1,500 for the truck and OEM converters would have cost as much as I paid for the truck. I went with two aftermarket converters and had them welded-in (because I suck at welding on tube) the total was less than $500. I had that truck smogged twice after that and neither time did the smog techs say anything about the different converters if they even noticed at all. When I sold that truck four years later they were still working fine and by that time almost looked like they had been under there from day-one.

Just another option :)

Kevin

Kev250R

This is my other car
I think it was made by Magnaflow but don't remember for sure. I just checked rockauto.com and they have aftermarket Cats for your son's car from $250-280. I'm guessing it would cost another $100 to have a muffler shop change it out.

Good luck!

Kevin

Lived in Massachusetts for many years. It has a stringent emission program. I used CARQUEST converters several times (had a 23 y/o Maxima). The last time the car failed emissions, on went another CARQUEST converter. Viola!