2004 Corolla Questions

I'm going to look into a 04 Corolla tomorrow with 114k miles, is there anything that should be known about this year of a Corolla? I've checked on cargurus as well as Edmunds (all greens) and Carcomplaints which shows minimal issues.

The car looks extremely clean, I usually look through the interior to see how well it was treated since that can be a sign if someone took well enough of the car. The Carfax literally shows nothing, just that it was owned by two owners.

I'm nowhere near car savvy, so is there problem spots I should look at or inspect as best as I can to make sure I'm not getting a dud?

I feel like it's a good deal on the vehicle so hopefully the car is in good shape mechanically. It's also an auto.

Grey exterior if that matters since I've seen some mention things about the white exteriors.

Last edited:
I recommend taking a mechanic or a friend that knows about cars with you. Sometimes just one person can miss a minor issue that can turn into a bigger one.

I recommend taking a mechanic or a friend that knows about cars with you. Sometimes just one person can miss a minor issue that can turn into a bigger one.
sadly I don't know any but my friend is coming to make sure I don't overlook anything at least

O well. Anyways, check for leaks. First ask when was the last time they changed the oil, then check oil stick and see if it's burnt or low and compare it with what they told you. Crank the car up and see if you hear any knocking in the engine. See if car cranks up without hesitation. Let it warm up and see if radiator fan goes on. Pull on the throttle and sew if it revs without hesitation or without making any unusual noise. Check again for any leaks. Above and underneath. Drive it around and see if transmission shifts good. See if engine response is good when stepping on the gas. Then take it on the highway where you can go at least 60 MPH and see how it drives. If everything seems good and you're comfortable with it then good luck.

Crank the car a few times. Maybe twice or 3 times. Don't forget to try driving in reverse just to be sure it works fine.

Almost forgot, check transmission oil. Make sure it's redish/pinkish and not brownish/blackish. Make sure it doesn't smell burnt and if so then it needs a transmission flush ASAP and hopefully it hasn't been like that too long and no damage has been caused.

Test drive it. May have sludge like mine if previous owners used wrong/cheap oil and don't change fluids often. So many ppl don't take care of their cars.