2004 Corolla - Suggestions for Rear Bumper Covers

CaptainAmerica

Superhero at large
Some jerk in a FS truck autographed my '04 S's rear-end in a parking garage, and I just happened to be parked in one of the few places not covered by security cameras.

Anyone have any suggestions on replacing or repairing the bumper cover? The car has been rear-ended 5 times since August 2003, and I don't want to have to tell USAA there's been a sixth.

Seriously, please stopping hitting my car from behind, especially when I'm in it!!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Our Bumper got a crack, from left to right. I got a guard for it,3m glued it on 2 years later , still there covering that crack

CaptainAmerica

Superhero at large
This is more like a volleyball-sized dent in the left corner. No steel damage, but he very effectively imploded the cover about 2" into the foam.

Bastard.

Make me want to buy a truck, get the towing package, and leave a ridiculous receiver in it to cause more damage than it receives for the next time my rear-end gets clobbered.

:eek:

CaptainAmerica

Superhero at large
can it be popped out?
Not sure. There's a couple creases in there, and some paint has flaked off. I'd actually considered trying that, then hitting the cavity with a small can of spray foam. Then there's repainting the affected area.

Depends on whether I end up trading it in or giving it to my son. Still not sure on that yet either.

Due to the crease and missing paint, the cover will have to be refinished. In order to determine whether the section now under pressure can be relieved, some pressure and/or heat may be necessary. The cover will have to be removed from the assy in order to effect a repair which means the bumper assy needs to be removed from the vehicle. If you go to www.car-part.com you will find a few bumper covers for sale in Texas and this is atypical as most used parts suppliers prefer to sell complete units. You could also expand the search for the cover into other nearby states. Shipping of a used cover may be an issue. You may need to pick up in person or elect to buy a complete bumper assy closer to home. I would not recommend the purchase of an aftermarket cover which may not be a certified part.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Superhero at large
The local Pull-n-Save thinks they have a clean 2005 rear cover and foam on the lot. Total price would be $50. I just need to head over there and pull them myself.

I may finally have to get a Haynes manual for this car...