2004 Gauge Cluster Question

I recently picked up a 2004 Corolla. One of the problems, when I bought the car was the gas gauge, didn't work. I pulled the sending unit and it was a dead short at any position. I replaced it. The needle now goes from a half tank to a quarter tank instead of straight down.

Also, the TPMS light is on. I don't have a reset switch, there's the light adjustment, the side mirror controls, a coin holder, and a blank. The manual doesn't list this light or even TPMS. I beginning to think a previous owner replaced the gauge cluster from a later year.

I did notice that a fuel pump I looked at from a salvage yard from a 2007 Corolla was much different that my 2004 fuel pump. The sending unit was also different. I'm thinking that the gauge does not match the sending unit.

Does anyone have a 2004 LE with white-faced gauges?

Well, one more google seach answered my question. Here's another thread that let me know the gauge cluster from 2005+ are not compatible because of the fuel gauge.
Can't post the link. Search for DIY 2003-2008 Corolla Gauge Cluster Swap w/PICS! on ToyotaNation.

rk97

^ I was thinking that about the white faced gauges as well, but I wasn't sure enough to post it.

I wouldn't sweat not having a fuel gauge though. I run my "A" tripometer to track gas mileage, and my "B" to track oil change intervals. Flooring it with the AC running, I would still get 300 miles from a full tank of gas without worry. Breaking 400 isn't uncommon.