2004 MPG Low?

OK so I would like a little input on this. A short time ago I picked up a 2004 with about 170k on the clock. After getting it I did a mini tune up; plugs, air filter, oil change and intake gasket. Shortly there after that the primary O2 sensor died and I replaced that. But I have been surprised that I am getting 30-31 mpg driving like a grandma. From what I have seen online this might be as good as can be expected but I can't understand why and just want to make sure I am not missing something. So here is a comparison, both cars driven the same route alternating days filling up at the same gas stations (though different grade) by the same driver.

2001 Audi A4 1.8, turbo charged and slightly modified for 207 horse/245lb-ft torque with ~235k on the clock. With this car I can get 29.5-31 mpg on my commute. While this car is a manual transmission which should help gas mileage it also has quattro and weighs almost 1000 lbs more. Also within the last few months I changed the O2 sensor on this car and the mpg went from ~27 to 29.5-31. So I saw a significant jump with the new sensor, but. I saw no increase with the Toyota's sensor change.
So I can't quite understand why the Toyota seems to barely do better than the Audi which makes me think something else is amiss. I have no codes and the vehicle does seem to drive fine; no stutters or stumbles. I would say it seems rough when pushed but I think this is common to most small 4 cylinder engines. The only other thing I have noticed recently is a ticking sound when sitting in drive. If I put it in neutral or park the sound goes away.

Any ideas on what I could check? I have monitored the O2 sensor circuit after replacement and it is oscillating like it should and the computer does say it is running closed loop.

It is auto but rarely see high speeds. It is a 40 mile commute and I avg about 40 mph with some lights. But again I a comparing it to an older turbo charged vehicle that weighs almost a 1000#'s more that has AWD and is getting similar mpg. Just seems like the Toyota should be able to do much better. But I guess it isn't as efficient as the Audi.

Does the Audi do an alternate fire when stopped at a red light? Some Dodge hemis did that and it made their city MPG shine.

Audi is a more expensive car wjth better technology, not really all that shocked. Aerodynamics could also be a factor, as well as other things.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Probably has to do with power at given rpm in the corolla a lot more high rpm to get needed power the Audi has turbo so a lot less high rpm and it has much more ample power and takes less time getting up to speed and then once at cruising speed your rolling rpm is much lower like 1500 rpm at 40 in corolla when the roll a would need 2k rpm.

Another thing is do not take just the size of the motor as everything I have a 3.6 pentastar the rpm at 40 mph is 1k and will get 40mpg and also gets a lot better highway mpg because its barley working at 70 to 75 were the corolla is at 3k plus and its working very much harder..

And to be just flat out honest you are complaining about getting 27mpg is that really even something to gripe about!!!!!!!

Audi is a 1.8 liter four with no cylinder deactivation and was stickered to get 27 mpg on hwy. And I am not complaining about gas mileage...but since the car is new to me and I know the previous owner did the bare min to keep it on the road I just want to make sure I am not missing something. Just seems like if I am driving the same route w/ same style the car that weighs 1000# less and doesn't have awd should be getting significantly better gas mileage. Especially since I think I drive the Toyota easier since it feels harsh with higher rpm.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
I'm getting the same in my 97 with 1.8 and 4 speed I would say all is well has alot to do with tuning and is it vvti or not that has alot to do with it