2004 Toyota Carolla Intermittent Issues

I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla that has 118,000 miles on it and we are the original owners and have maintained the car very well. I'm having intermittent issues with the car and it has been going on for about a year now. The problem I'm having is if the check engine icon doesn't light up along with the battery icon and seat belt icon on the dash before I go to turn the engine over the car will not start. The car will crank but not start. So I basically have to turn the key on/off until I see the check engine icon illuminate and then the car will start. Along with that problem I've had the car shut off while driving sometimes at 60mph and sometimes at 25mph. It has also shut off while in park allowing it to warm up. When the car shuts off I generally pull over and put the car in park, turn the key off and restart it with no issue. During any of these issues, I never get a check engine indicator on the dash. From what I've been told without a check engine warning there is no way to read error codes, hence figure out what is causing the failure. I've taken it to 3 mechanics and it never seems to act up for them or they can't recreate the issue. The ignition switch and relay have been replaced. The car has a brand new battery and I've cleaned up all the grounds under the hood with a wire brush. I'm thinking it may be the ECM but this has been going on for at least a year and I know they aren't cheap to buy/program. I only drive this car 4miles to work one way and it isn't my primary car, but I know it has a lot of life in it. Please help me.

I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla that has 118,000 miles on it and we are the original owners and have maintained the car very well. I'm having intermittent issues with the car and it has been going on for about a year now. The problem I'm having is if the check engine icon doesn't light up along with the battery icon and seat belt icon on the dash before I go to turn the engine over the car will not start. The car will crank but not start. So I basically have to turn the key on/off until I see the check engine icon illuminate and then the car will start. Along with that problem I've had the car shut off while driving sometimes at 60mph and sometimes at 25mph. It has also shut off while in park allowing it to warm up. When the car shuts off I generally pull over and put the car in park, turn the key off and restart it with no issue. During any of these issues, I never get a check engine indicator on the dash. From what I've been told without a check engine warning there is no way to read error codes, hence figure out what is causing the failure. I've taken it to 3 mechanics and it never seems to act up for them or they can't recreate the issue. The ignition switch and relay have been replaced. The car has a brand new battery and I've cleaned up all the grounds under the hood with a wire brush. I'm thinking it may be the ECM but this has been going on for at least a year and I know they aren't cheap to buy/program. I only drive this car 4miles to work one way and it isn't my primary car, but I know it has a lot of life in it. Please help me.
Good morning Sir,

Let's divide the issues. The car doesn't start. Every car do a system check when you put the key into the ignition in the on position. Do not just get the key in and go straight to start. Two things are happening. One, the system check is not finished when you try to crank the car and the computer gets "confused" on the result of the check. Two, while doing the check the fuel pump pressurized the system out of air in the lines. If there is no pressure your car cranks but it doesn't starts because the fuel does not reach the engine. Just leave the car in the on position for a good 5 seconds. You will see some of the lights will come on and off after a few seconds, then try and start the car.

Car shut of while running. There is not going to have a code if the problem is a mechanical issue and not electronic. So, when is shut down, does it sputter like it doesn't get fuel? or smoothly shuts down like when you turn it off with the key? Does the car has an alarm with a cut off switch? These are some possibilities for that to happen. Remember, the car to run needs fuel, air and spark (electricity).

The battery, ignition switch, the relay and cleaning the grounds are all part of the electrical system. I have a 2007 Corolla S and still working great. I know the ECM can be really expensive. Just make sure your fuel pump is in good condition, the fuel filter is not clogged, your spark plugs and wires are in good condition and the air filter is not dirty. All these are not expensive checks and replacements you can do with simple tools (minus the fuel pump) and way cheaper than an ECM. Let us know in here the progress. Good luck our friend.