2005 Corolla Engine Failure

I have a 2005 Corolla with 93k. Starter went up. Had starter replaced and also had new front brake pads installed. It had a very low idle after starter replaced and it read 10 volts. The battery read 12.6 so the alternator seemed to be working before he worked on it. So the mechanic took it for a test drive and the engine failed. Sounded like rods, valves clanging in engine. I can't help feel that it was something the mechanic did. But how can an engine fail after replacing just the starter??!! Spent over $350 for all the work and now the engine is shot, so instead of getting engine replaced I went out and got a 2010 Corolla. I know replacing a starter has nothing to do with the engine failing but I can't help feel that something wasn't done right. Any thoughts or ideas of what could have happened? thanks

A. Mechanic dumped brake shavings, sand, etc in your motor.
B. Your motor took a **** while the mechanic was test driving it.

05corolla

Super Moderator
looking for a drivers fender if you stilll have and a hubcap. there's a thread about the hubcap. sorry but a 2010 is a nice upgrade

Did the mechanic put something in the bell housing to make it sound like engine failure? Wrong size bolts? Too long hitting ringgear? Maybe he left a wrench in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk