2005 Corolla - Help

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
In almost 30 years in the auto repair/maintenance/synthetic oil industry I've never seen an original equipment catalytic convertor that was not welded on to the exhaust pipes.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask?

@Scott My car needs a new catalytic converter. and I didn't want to go and spend unnecessary $$$ on parts for this car. And I was going to bu a high flow cat.

Being welded, it will be tough to replace unless you have a torch.

To verify, look under the car.

I recommend staying away from aftermarket, "performance", catalytic convertors. It's not unusual for the quality to be very lacking, i.e. made in China. Over-scavenging the exhaust can also reduce fuel economy, throttle response and power, especially for an economy car.

How was it determined the catalytic convertor needed to be replaced?

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
If it is welded and the tools you require are n/a try heading to your local shop or neighbor and have a talk. like you're doing here, and see if they'll help out to get that welded stuff off, and the rest you can do?

@Scott My car needs a new catalytic converter. and I didn't want to go and spend unnecessary $$$ on parts for this car. And I was going to bu a high flow cat.
To extrapolate, these high-flow exhaust system components are fine for a race car that is seeing 5,000 RPM's + constantly and wants to take the checkered flag, but realistically, is that the world your Corolla lives in? If your car is driven like that, beaten on and put away wet, trying to win the checkered flag in a race, pushing the RPM's to the red line, then yes exhaust components for high RPM, high flow use can be of help.

However, if your Corolla lives in a world where 99.9% of other vehicles do, that is driven for daily transportation to work and back, to the grocery store, etc., then these high flow exhaust parts can actually do harm in the form of reduced fuel economy, reduced throttle response and power. At the RPM's that street driven vehicles see every day, it rarely ever exceeds 5,000 RPM's, especially when toodling around town. A reduction in exhaust system back pressure that these high flow exhaust parts provide can correspondingly reduce low-mid range RPM torque, which reduces fuel economy and throttle response. That's not what anyone wants in a daily driven street car of course. If the vehicle is a race car that is constantly being pushed to the limit with 5,000 + rpm blasts, then yes the high flow exhaust parts will increase high RPM power, at the expense of low-mid RPM torque, throttle response and fuel economy.

It's a trade-off. Low-mid RPM range torque, throttle response and fuel economy or high RPM power with a trade-off of reduced low-mid RPM range torque, throttle response and fuel economy.

Be careful what we do with the exhaust systems on our Corolla's. For a street driven application, the stock exhaust system parts provide the best throttle response, fuel economy and practicality.

There's no free lunch. Have to honestly ask yourself what you want in your car and go from there.

I hope this helps you out.

Last edited:
My pleasure. We're here to help. :thumbsup:

By the way, even if the catalytic convertor is not welded on, but uses exhaust c-clamps instead, the parts are going to be rusted together and be virtually impossible to remove with mere hand tools. A cutting torch is really needed here.

How was it diagnosed that the catalytic convertor was bad?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
larger tools gets the exhaust bolts off. torch and a fire extigusher , with some fire retardant wrapped around, I being safe. correct?

Being new or not. Just make sure you are in compliance to the inspection stations, not to fail.

larger tools gets the exhaust bolts off. torch and a fire extigusher , with some fire retardant wrapped around, I being safe. correct?

Being new or not. Just make sure you are in compliance to the inspection stations, not to fail.
fishycomics raises a good point. In states that have annual safety/emissions inspections, replacing the catalytic convertor, (per law), must be done by an automotive technician and not a do-it-yourselfer in their own driveway.

fishycomics - Getting the c-clamps off isn't the main problem, (although with just hand tools it can be a pain in the neck), but actually getting the exhaust pipes separated can be extremely difficult.

the check engine light came on and I took it to Advance Auto Parts. The guy read me the code and said it was the catalytic converter. On a good note though.......I DON'T HAVE TO REPLACE THE CAT CONVERTER. I was doing some research online and came across this stuff called Cataclean Converter. I used a bottle and the check engine light went off.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
If you gotten codes, what were they. P0420?

have you ever thought the O2 sensors Pre & post may gone bad.

how bout those cheap gas stations, all those additives.....