2005 Corolla - Thumping Noise - What Could Be the Cause?

I purchased a 2005 Toyota Corolla back in 2010 and love the car. It had a smooth and comfortable ride until recently. I started to hear and noticed a thumping noise coming from the front left/driver's side whenever I drove around bends, sweeping right turns and more noticeably when I drive straight at speeds between 25-35 MPH.

I had a couple mechanics look at it and we first decided to replace the wheel bearings. The noise still continued. Then we had all the wheels balanced. The noise still continued. Then we decided to replace the tires since they were getting old. That still did not solve the problem. Then we decided to replace the ball joints and tie rods since they were showing signs of wear and tear. That still did not solve the problem. Then we replaced the CV axles on both sides. Problem still not solved. Does anyone have any suggestions or help? One of the mechanics suggested road noise, but I don't think a car with a great suspension would just start making road noise.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbsup::clap::):thumbup::thumbup1::balloon: :rockon:

Why were the wheel bearings replaced if they weren't the cause of the noise?

Tire balancing has absolutely zero to do with noises.

Replacing tires that aren't the cause of the noise might not be a good thing to do, especially for your wallet. Ditto with all the incredible number of other parts that were replaced, at your expense.

It sounds to me like you need to find a new, "mechanic", and not a parts replacer that takes your money and laughs all the way to the bank. If they sold cars their last recommendation would probably be for you to buy another car! Your wallet has been vacuumed empty to the tune of over $1,000!

Anyone who refers to themselves as a, "mechanic", and recommends replacing parts with absolutely no diagnosis, is no mechanic.

In any state I know of, if you bring in a vehicle to an auto center for a specific problem to be diagnosed/repaired and the recommended repair didn't correct the problem you brought the vehicle in for, then you don't owe one red penny to that auto center. This is the law. Period.

I suggest you raise this issue with this, "mechanic", and demand your money back. In my humble opinion, they are taking you to the cleaners. Contact your regions Attorney General's office about this and also the Office of Consumer Affairs and they can help you get your money back.

Now, as for the cause of a noise, to correctly diagnose that over the Internet, with no hands on access to the vehicle, is a daunting task indeed. An incredible number of parts have been replaced and this complicates things greatly, as any of those parts and their questionable quality, or possibly improper installation, could be causing this noise or contributing to it.

I strongly recommend you find a professional automotive technician who can diagnose your vehicle and correct the problem at hand, instead of just doing the incompetent and very expensive parts replacement routine. A monkey can replace parts.

The auto center that you brought your vehicle to and have your wallet vacuumed empty, is it a national chain or a small independent?

I get the same thumping noise, only with me it starts around 55 MPH and the thumping increases/decreases with the speed. I had the CV joints refurbished, that did not solve the problem. The mechanic felt that the noise was coming from the wheels/tires.
I had the wheels checked at 2 tire places, and the rims were found to be bent beyond repair. I replaced the rims and that still didn't solve the problem.

Any leads would be appreciated :)

Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbsup::clap::):thumbup::thumbup1::balloon: :rockon:

Don't replace anymore parts.

Have the tires been checked for flat spots or slipped belts? (this doesn't mean to replace the tires).

Diagnose.

I purchased a 2005 Toyota Corolla back in 2010 and love the car. It had a smooth and comfortable ride until recently. I started to hear and noticed a thumping noise coming from the front left/driver's side whenever I drove around bends, sweeping right turns and more noticeably when I drive straight at speeds between 25-35 MPH.

I had a couple mechanics look at it and we first decided to replace the wheel bearings. The noise still continued. Then we had all the wheels balanced. The noise still continued. Then we decided to replace the tires since they were getting old. That still did not solve the problem. Then we decided to replace the ball joints and tie rods since they were showing signs of wear and tear. That still did not solve the problem. Then we replaced the CV axles on both sides. Problem still not solved. Does anyone have any suggestions or help? One of the mechanics suggested road noise, but I don't think a car with a great suspension would just start making road noise.
How many miles on this car? Has it had a 4 wheel alignment recently? I would check bushings, stabilizer links and strut bearings. I would also check any auto trans rubber mount (if applicable). The noise you hear may not actually be from the area you think.