2005 XRS - Lowering

Tired of the off road look, I am looking at the teins springs lowering the car approx. 2 inches front and rear... Has anyone done this to their XRS? Did the ride get worse? I am sure it will look better, just concerned about ride quality with 2 inches less of suspension travel.
Thanks
John

Yes the ride will become much worse. Potholes, speed bumps and other road irregularities will also seriously threaten the exhaust system and anything on the underside of the car. Also when the car needs any kind of service, being so low to the ground will make it virtually impossible for an auto center to get the car on a lift and into the air.

save the money and get some nice coilovers...much better performance and yes, they will make your ride considerably rougher, but the car will feel much more predictable and stout :) oh and if you don't have it, a front strut bar made turns much more enjoyable on my xrs...the stock one is absolute garbage.

I lowered mine. I got these cheap ebay Stagg struts which have been holding up for me since this last March. All in all my struts+Tien S-techs were only about $300. Now I would go for coilovers, but if you're on a budget, I would still recommend it. The ride is alright, it is stiffer, but if you're driving, you don't notice it too much, mostly just your passengers. Avoid speedbumps though :thumbsup:

rolla.jpg

regardless of what others may say, First of all- it is your car to do w/ what you want. Second - you are starting right by doing research. knowledge is power. springs are an economical way to lower a vehicle but w/ a price (unless you also change out shocks & struts to accommodate the change), coilovers are a good option but there are cheap options as well as high end quality ones, and then there is the baggit option-can fall into same categories as the coilovers from cheap to extravagant. you have to figure out the type of driving you do, the budget you have, pros & cons of each system. there is a saying that "custom don't come in a box" so if there is something specific you want to accomplish and there isnt an off the shelf version, doesn't mean it can't be accomplished.

How does an auto center perform any maintenance/repairs on the car when it is so low it can't get on a lift?
I've had lowered cars/trucks for 20 years and haven't had any major issues. I have several different mechanics that I can go to that will accommodate my lowered ride including dealerships and car washes. most modern shops have newer lifts to help alleviate the hassle of lowered cars/trucks.