2006 Clutch Grinds Going Into Gear

Intermittently the clutch will grind going into gear. It's happened alot, almost where I can "feel" that it is about to do it and it will, but I can't pinpoint it to anything I'm doing differently regarding driving. POSSIBLY it could be when I stop somewhat hard.

It happens primarily shifting into first at a stop, and from 3rd to 4th, but it's happened in all gears but 5th. I had the clutch plate replaced a few months ago, and it seems to be worse after that. I didn't think it was related as it was doing it before then.

Any thoughts? Sync rings? Bushings? Bad luck?

The clutch isn't what grinds, but the synchros in the transmission.

The disc was replaced, and I'm assuming the pressure plate and throwout bearing were as well. I'm thinking the brass is shot in the transmission and it needs to be rebuilt (primarily because 5th doesn't grind), but I would make sure you are pushing the clutch in fully before shifting and that the hydraulic system isn't leaking before committing to a transmission rebuild.

well yes, that's more accurate...

Wow, so I read this over and I'm informed.
http://www.brokevw.com/gear_selection.html
The longer I let it go the more potential damage I do to the gears (if that's what it is). It seems I can delay the project if I'm real careful shifting.

Is it easier to just buy a low mileage tranny than have someone rebuild?

Could I check for hydraulic leak or will I have to take it to someone?

160k on it.

By the way, if I get the proper manual and videos etc, and find the parts, is this something I can do myself with my mechanic friend who is used to this kinda stuff?

Last edited:
If you have never done major repair work on a car, it will be too much of a project for your first time, given that dropping transmissions in a FWD car involves removing suspension, mounts, etc.

It would all depend on your mechanical aptitude and how good your friend is. If you're a pretty smart guy, you'd be fine, just label everything and take pictures as you tear down so you know how it all goes back together.

I prefer a rebuild from a reputable shop. Better off getting all new brass over a used transmission that might end up doing the exact same thing 20,000 miles from now.

For hydraulic clutch assembly leaks, look at your master and slave clutch cylinder and inspect them for signs of brake fluid.