2006 Corolla CE - Engine Noise At Red Light

I bought this used 2006 corolla ce few months ago with ODO at 84k. Now for few days, I am noticing this sound that starts to come out from the hood when I stop at red light with car in D and foot on brake. This screeching noise appear few seconds after stopping and gradually increase in intensity. It disappears as soon I start to drive again or if I shift to neutral. Seems like problem with transmission. I just had an oil change and fluid check a month ago. Just wanted to check with you guys what should I expect to hear from the service center and potentially what kind of repair cost I am looking at (kind of low on $$ these days :( )

I'm leaning on the belt too. If it hasn't been replaced, now would be a good time. I change mine every 60k because when they break, they strand you, and for $25 for a high quality one, it just isn't worth stretching it to its death.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
With the engine running and the screeching noise occurring, spray the serpentine belt with some water. If the sound goes away, you've pinpointed the cause. The water acts as a momentary lubricant and makes the sound stop momentarily.