2006 Corolla - Cold Start Knocking and CEL

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2006 Corolla LE 1.8 liter. Started up today in 17 degree fahrenheit weather and drove on a cold start engine. I think I felt knocking when the car idled during stop lights, and later noticed the check engine light come on :(.

After about ten minutes, temperature rose to normal and the knocking seemed to stop.

I have about 93,600 miles, and I'm not sure if the spark plugs have ever been replaced.

Before I take it to the mechanic, do you guys think I caused a lot of damage driving it with a cold engine?

Thanks.

Hi fubag.

I am guessing the engine has the old school petroleum oil in it? If so, the knocking noise probably came from that, as petroleum oils perform comparatively poorly in the cold. In the cold they can get very thick, flowing poorly or not at all, allowing metal-to-metal contact to occur and rapid engine wear. Hence the knocking noise you heard that went away after the engine warmed up, thinning the oil from the heat of all the friction occurring inside the engine with the metal-to-metal wear going on and thus allowing the oil to flow again. What kind of oil, (petroleum or synthetic), brand and viscosity is in the engine?

As to the check engine light, it could be unrelated. In these very cold temperatures I would guess it may have come from a misfire which would cause it to turn on. If you stop by any Advance Auto Parts or Autozone store, they will scan your Corolla's onboard computer for free and advise you what the check engine light is about.

Last edited:
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the quick response. By old school petroleum oil, are you referring to the engine oil? I had an oil change at the end of September and I think the mechanic put in Chevron 5W-30.

I'll check to see if the CEL comes back on before I take it back.

Thanks!

Yes, that would be a petroleum oil with the inherent cold winter temperature problems they have, as I mentioned. I can get you AMSOIL synthetic motor oils that have outstanding cold winter properties and will greatly improve lubrication, reduce engine wear, improve fuel economy and save you money.

The check engine light coming on will have stored a code in your Corolla's onboard computer that can be scanned and then tell you what caused it to come on. Just because the light is currently not on doesn't mean the problem that made it come on has gone away.

Here is an explanation of cold weather oil performance that I thought you'd be interested in -

The Pour Point Test determines the lowest temperature at which a lubricant will flow. The lower a lubricant’s pour point, the better protection it provides in low-temperature service. Unlike conventional oils that solidify in cold temperatures, AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil remains fluid down to -60° F. AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil helps engines turn over easier and flows quickly to engine parts for critical start-up protection. Engines start easier and wear is greatly reduced for extended engine life.

Pour Point

AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30 = - 60 deg. F.

Chevron Supreme 5W-30 = - 33 deg. F.

An oil's pour point is the temperature it will still flow just before turning to a solid. So when we experience frigid temperatures like we have now, the lower the pour point, the better the oil will flow to protect engines against accelerated wear and tear, while also providing a fuel economy increase and much easier cold temperature starting, which can also extend battery and starter life as well.

If you'd like to take advantage of this fantastic performance for your engine and savings for your wallet, send me a private message and I'll take care of you with the lowest price possible. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
So it's eighteen days later. What's the status of the car?
Manually replaced intake engine manifold gasket and cleared battery. No issues since replacement. Same old conventional engine oil 5W-30, no knocks, no CEL. Thanks for the offer though Scott, but I'm too poor to get synthetic although it sounds fantastic to use!

Old black rubber gasket was really worn out and started detriorating, so I'm really glad I got it replaced with the new orange silicone ones. I'd highly recommend checking it out for '03-08 corollas in the 80-90000+ ranges.

Lot of useful guides online helped me save $240 in labor for having a $8 piece installed!

I feel super proud of fixing the car all by myself haha, I'm putting Mechanic in training on my resume! :p

Last edited:
Good job on the repair! :thumbsup: :)

AMSOIL synthetic motor oils can save you a lot of money vs. petroleum oils.

How many miles per year are you driving your Corolla, how often do you change the oil and what does each oil change cost you?

Good job on the repair! :thumbsup: :)

AMSOIL synthetic motor oils can save you a lot of money vs. petroleum oils.

How many miles per year are you driving your Corolla, how often do you change the oil and what does each oil change cost you?
Drive about 1k a month or less, I generally change every 5k mile based on toyota's guidance, and each oil change is $20...so roughly 2-3 changes per year about $40-60.

Using AMSOIL synthetic motor oil, the price would be about the same and you'd enjoy much easier cold winter engine starts, (no clattering engine sounds from metal-to-metal wear going on, greatly accelerating engine wear), less strain on the battery and starter, superior cold and hot engine lubrication/protection/reduced engine wear, an internally cleaner engine, lower emissions, cooler engine temperatures and improved fuel economy. Most of my customers save about $100-$150 per year in reduced oil change costs and improved fuel economy vs. petroleum oils. With my own vehicle, my fuel savings are over $300 per year vs petroleum oils. Someone could provide me free petroleum oil changes and it would cost me more to use than AMSOIL. :thumbsup: :) PM me and I can provide you with more information.