2006 Corolla is Getting Tired

kirt

2006 Corolla S
I'm the original owner of a 2006 corolla S with a manual transmission. Besides routine maintenance (oil, struts, serpentine belts, spark plugs, brakes), I really haven't had any problems. I have 250,000 miles on the original clutch (I know it should be replaced), starting to here some wining above 60 mph, when I brake I get a shimmy, lifters are starting to make more noise. I still get around 35 mpgs and it has been passing California smog. I had a friend who got a new motor (used motor from Japan with 40,000 miles or so on it) and clutch put in his 1993 Corolla for about 2,000. Was debating on driving the car till it drops and then putting a new motor and clutch in it or start trying to fix the existing motor.

I would like to here from anyone who has bought one of these crate motors and installed it themselves. I've heard it's not that bad, a one or two day job, if everything goes well. I'm trying to stay away from payments or sinking too much money in my car to make it reliable (I feel it could go any time now). Any experience and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :)

250,000 miles isn't that extreme for a well maintained engine using a better performing oil, especially a top performing synthetic oil.

To determine the actual health of the engine, if you do a compression test this will tell you how much life the engine has remaining. You may find it's not as bad off as you may be thinking.

Getting a shimmy when braking is indicative of out of round brake rotors.

Last edited:
i agree with scott....put a clutch in it, do a front brake job w/ new rotors, and then see if its the altenator or ps pump whining....or trans gears. trans gear oil at level ?
As for the ticking...try lucas synthetic oil stablizer...worked on a badly ticking 4.6L

Last edited: