2006 Corolla LE Issues

Hello, I am new to the forum. I purchased an '06 corolla this passed July with 62k miles. Since then, I have had to put $3500 of repairs into including: new catalytic converter, 4 tires, and just found out today i need a new catvac, muffler, and fix an oil leak.

I think it is safe to say that I got picked off by the dealership i bought it from. I was told by one mechanic that the bottom was clearly very corroded and rusty, which helps explain some of the issues I have had in that region of the car. I should note however, that I Have put 11k miles on it, since i drive more than the average person.

The guy doing the repairs today says the car seems to be in great shape now, but they also said that a few months ago. Just seems like the bleeding won't stop. Anyone have thoughts or similar issues w/ a Corolla? Just wondering if i should dump the car now because it is cursed. I bought the vehicle for its reliable name but it has been anything but.

thanks

If I recall correctly, the catalyctic convertor will be covered under warranty by Toyota. I seem to recall catalyctic convertors have to be covered under warranty for 100,000 miles. If your auto center is recommending replacing the catalyctic converter when it's still under warranty from Toyota, that's not an issue with Toyota as it is the honesty, (or lack thereof), of the auto center in question. You might want to ask your local Toyota dealer about the catalyctic convertor warranty.

Tires are normal maintenance for any vehicle. At 62,000 miles, if the original tires went that far, that's phenomenal wear for an original equipment tire. Spending $3,500 in repairs/maintenance with a vehicle that only has 62,000 miles on it is extremely excessive. Again, questioning the integrity of the auto center you are dealing with here might be really called for. Get second opinions.

Also, a Toyota with only 62,000 miles on it might very well be still under warranty for many different items. Again, check with your Toyota dealer.

I hope this has been of help and you now don't just go, "poof", and vanish from the Corolla forum.

Last edited:
ha, thanks Scott. I may be on this forum for the long haul if the problems persist, so i will not vanish. As for your idea about checking the warranty, looks like I missed out by a year or so (car is now 6 yrs old). According to motor trend:

Basic 3 year / 36,000 miles
Free Maintenance N/A
Drivetrain 5 year / 60,000 miles
Roadside N/A
Rust 5 year / Unlimited miles

Call the Dealer. Don't bother with Motor Trend.
By the way, you mentioned something about excessive corrosion on the underside of the car and with only 62,000 miles, that probably shouldn't be like that. This could indicate a flood car and the high repairs/maintenance costs would then also make sense. Did you do a CarFax on this Corolla before you bought it? The CarFax will tell you if the car was ever totaled out for flood damage, or at least tell you if the car came from an area that was hit with a flood.

Ya as Scott said, that is pretty excessive. I haven't even put that much into my 2000 Land Rover Discovery since I bought it! (And I've done a lot of repairs and maintenance :) I bought my 06 Corolla new and have put 85,000 miles on it. I've had 2 repairs done (not normal maintenance), and it was the blower motor being replaced both times under warranty. Hope you are able to find out what is going on with your car. Sounds like it could be a lemon!

I've never heard of any Toyota being a lemon and I've been in the automotive repair/maintenance and synthetic oil industry for close to 30 years now. It might be more likely a dishonest auto center, or a flood car, which is a nightmare! :eek:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
KMoore715 - So how about it? What did the Toyota dealer say about the warranty on the catalyctic converter?

Have you checked with CarFax to see if this is a flood car?

Scott- been real busy this week but perhaps i will call Toyota today. Only thing is, i did not purchase at a Toyota dealership, i bought it at a Nissan dealership. Plus, I have already had all this work done so they might not honor work that is done outside of the toyota realm.

And, as far as it being a 'lemon', the guy who did the work says it should run like a champ now. He says in a few months I am due for another battery, but that is the only issue he foresees. I can't really see a reason for him to lie to me about that. Can you?

As far as the carfax goes, i remember it being clean. I looked at it very closely, that is what is so shocking to me. One of the guys at the auto shop that just did the work however, told me that it is very common for car dealers to doctor/manipulate carfax reports.

thanks for your input on this matter

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
New car warranties come with the car. It doesn't matter where you bought it. With only 62,000 miles, I'd be willing to bet there are many items that are still covered under warranty, including oil leaks as that is a drivetrain issue. You may be able to get the purchase price of the catalyctic converter or a portion of it, credited back to you by Toyota. You have to check with a Toyota service department.

I've been in the auto maintenance and repair industry for close to 30 years and I've never heard of CarFax reports being altered. That would be a felony, which is five years in prison. No, that's not common at all.

"..due for another battery"? There is no due time with a battery! Either a battery is good, or it is bad. They don't have expiration dates or recommended replacement intervals. I honestly feel you are being taken for a ride. This would explain the $3,500 repair bills with a car that has only 62,000 miles.

update

a few things....spoke to a toyota dealer who put me in touch with corporate toyota, turns out the catalytic converter has an 8 yr warranty. going to send in some paperwork (details of repairs, proof of ownership, payment) and hopefully I will get at least some type of refund. The other issues I have had with the car fall well outside the 3 & 5yr warranties.

the independent mechanic who did the work last september is checking his database and going to write up a brief description (toyota says this is necessary.) Hopefully I will have all the paperwork on its way to toyota by next week. I will keep you posted. Even if i can recoup half of the cost of the cat converter & labor, i consider that a win. Thanks for the ideas