2007 Corolla Exhaust System - Rusted Flange Repair?

2007 corolla where the resonator pipe meets the muffler the flange rusted off. the system is all welded and to replace is 910.00. Would like to repair but the pipes are odd sizes, 1.9id and 2.1 od. Looking for suggestions. since the cat and the rest of the system is good, should I just cut the pipe and try andmake something work?

First I recommend going to different exhaust repair shops and getting estimates, which they will provide for you for free. Some companies are honest, others aren't. Hopefully you will find one that is honest and able to help you for a lower price than $910 smackeroonis.

$910 seems really high. If you were replacing a catalytic converter that would be one thing. But for a pipe with a flange welded to it? I dunno man.

Another option would be a junkyard. As long as the ass-end of the car wasn't crushed into an accordion you should be able to pull the entire exhaust off and save yourself welding, cutting, measuring, etc.

There is a possibility that someone at a muffler shop can cut and custom weld something in that will work. The $910 estimate is most likely a quote for the "best option", which is an OE style replacement of the entire catback. This also depends on the condition of the flange directly after the converter. If you want to do an OE style replacement, it is best to know exactly what parts are still useable in the original system, then source your own parts and find a shop willing to put them on.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Best bet is his local shop, and have the guy recommend a few places. Midas used to be the place to go, and still is for all exhaust work.

catalog of walker donut gaskets

made the flange now need a 2 inch donut gasket. Looked for a catalog online but found none. Anyone have a url which would list sizes and part numbers?