2007 Corolla - Mice Intrusion

I have read the 2013 thread re smell in vents. Anyone have any updated info?I have a 2007 and it has become a "mouse magnet". I have inserted alum. screening into the two fresh air intakes as well as a screen over the a.c. drain tube. I have not as yet removed the rear bumper to screen the 1/4 panel vents. For the most part, I find the "little darlings" nesting atop the cabin filter, although I have found evidence in the cabin itself. Any suggestions appreciated.

CaptainAmerica

Superhero at large
I have read the 2013 thread re smell in vents. Anyone have any updated info?I have a 2007 and it has become a "mouse magnet". I have inserted alum. screening into the two fresh air intakes as well as a screen over the a.c. drain tube. I have not as yet removed the rear bumper to screen the 1/4 panel vents. For the most part, I find the "little darlings" nesting atop the cabin filter, although I have found evidence in the cabin itself. Any suggestions appreciated.
We had mice do the same thing to my wife's '06 Prius - they ate away most of the A/C drain tube. Tiny, evil bastards.

Once I cleaned it up and the dealer replaced everything that had been nibbled on (still under warranty, thank God), I took it through a car wash and had them do the undercoat sealant treatment...twice. I then mixed up a spray bottle solution of 10% bleach (1 part bleach to 9 parts water), put it up on stands, and sprayed everything I could reach.

The trick is to remove any urine or sign of previous mouse habitation, and bleach is good for that. It also smells bad to mice, and they won't be motivated to come around to it. It smelled like a pool for a few days, but the mice never came back.

Side effect - the bleach prevented mold growth around areas prone to it. I did it to my '04 Corolla, and now do it to both cars about twice a year. So far, I haven't had mice or mold issues recur.

Keeping them out of the garage has been another matter. Had to move to do that.

Last edited:
With the steps I took I subsequently enjoyed 35 "mice free" days...up to the day the car was traded. The bleach idea is excellent. I am uncertain about the undercoating as the mice tended to use the engine bay and its various components on which to build nests. Thank you for the info.