2008 CE Automatic Transmission

Have a few questions on repair/replacement of the transmission. Last week my corolla started to shake and make a humming noise. I thought at first it was a wheel bearing. After troubleshooting I noticed that the passenger CV Half-Shaft was loose going into the gearbox. I replaced the half-shaft and this did not fix my issue. The half-shaft fits into the gearbox and is loose/sloppy. This is what is causing my vibrations/wooble/noise.
Is there a fix for this problem that does not involve removing the whole transmission?
It feels like the shaft input receptacle is loose.
Does the transmission need to replaced?
Where is a good place to find used transmissions.
I am currently stationed overseas in Europe.

car-parts.com

once you put in the info and found the results, scroll down and click on the number with an asterisk for the cheapest price. Loooots of parts there.

What I mean by loose. The half shaft slides into the transmission. The clip holds it in place. When i bolt everything back together and put on the tire. I can go under the vehicle and grab the half shaft near the transmission and shake it up and down it moves, it does not move in and out of the transmission. No slop in twisting it back and forth. The only loose/slop I get is moving it up, down, left, or right.
No slop by twisting or pulling.

Sounds like something internal to the transmission is broken in half. I'm betting the spider gear carrier somehow broke and it is no longer supporting the halfshaft like it should be. Very odd that it failed in that manner though. Usually you'll fry the bands and clutches first unless you do a lot of burnouts and neutral bombs.

Don, so does that mean that the whole transmission has to be replaced. It sounds like it could be rebuilt but I am guessing this would be an expensive process.

No need to replace the entire transmission. Should be a matter of replacing the carrier. What will kill you is labor. The cheapest way would be to pull the transmission yourself and have a shop do the carrier for you (and they might as well rebuild it while it is out of the car unless you have unusually low miles for an '08).

Another thing would be to take it in and start getting estimates. I can't be 100% sure that is your problem without looking at it myself, but based on what you described, seems like a broken carrier is the culprit.