2008 Corolla - Mass Airflow Sensor

The check engine light came on, on my 2008 Corolla CE. I took it to Advance Auto to have them scan it and they said the mass air flow sensor was bad. They said 80 bucks to replace. I first went home to google it and someone suggested i get mass air flow sensor cleaner and clean it. I did this and it didnt help. The preformance has really gone on the car, it doesnt idle right, I was going up an interstate hill and the car slowed down to beflow 40 per hour while i had it floored. It stalls. It just isn't running right. Before I spend 80 bucks on this sensor, does anyone have any input. I am using a K&N air filter.

Kev250R

This is my other car
Hard to say but it could be a MAF. You mentioned you're using a K&N Filter and those are notorious for ruining MAF's. The oil from the filter ends-up coating the element in the MAF.

I've had MAF problems on my ex's 4Runner. The first time I needed to replace3 it I used a re-manufactured one from O'Reilly and it lasted about two years. When that one failed I bought a brand-new OEM one which has been installed for over two years now and is working fine. YMMV

Just personal prefrence, I don't use K&N (or any oil-impregnated type of filter) on my car or trucks. Just paper filters which I toss when they get dirty.

Kevin

Ive read that the oil could be an issue.
Is it safe to clean the MAF in these corollas.
CRC maker of Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner says DO NOT use on Lexus! Or systems with Karmen-Vortex sensors.
Would these corollas run better after a good MAF cleaning?

I've cleaned mine a few times, it should be fine. I did have an issue where the codes pointed to either a MAF or O2 sensor issue, however it turned out to be a vacuum leak around the intake manifold. Before I'd start throwing parts at it, get some flammable carb cleaner, and spray it around the vacuum hoses, and intake manifold to check for leaks, this can cause the car to idle rough, because the mixture will be too lean as the air that leaks by is not accounted for by the MAF sensor, which throws the mixture off.