2008 Corolla - Radio Wiring Harness

group

Hi folks! hope all is well.

a) i am trying to install a new stereo in my corolla 2008. when i saw the back of the old radio i found 2 unused ports with 20 pins ( 10 on top and 10 on the bottom ) and another port with 12 pin ( 6 on the top and 6 on the bottom) does anyone one know what these extra ports are for?

b) when i get a new stereo does the new stereo's harness automatically fit the OEM harness? or do i need to buy another adapter or something?

thank you

a) Those ports are expansion (usually accessories such as XM or a multi-disc changer).

b) No, the aftermarket stereo will have a different harness. There is an adapter you can buy, but you will still have to solder wire (this allows the factory harness to remain unmolested while the adapter can be soldered onto the aftermarket stereo harness.

I recommend soldering wire and using shrink tube so that connections won't loosen over time, and it keeps interference to a minimum.

group

do you guys know if this is the right harness for my car??? i strongly believe it is NOT.but the company that sells it says it will fit a corolla 2008.
my radio has 2 ports. a small port and a large port.
the small port has 5 wires coming out of it.
the bigger port has 9 wires coming out of it.

i cant post pics on this site cause i cant post a pic greater than 19.5 kb ( which i think is ridiculous.)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_1522_Scosche-TA02B.html

The upload limit is to keep people from filling up the server's hard drive space with 15+ Mb pictures, which costs the server owners more money, so you have to link directly to the picture on a 3rd party website or use Photobucket to upload your personal photos and link it.

Just curious ... have you done stereo installs before? I get the feeling that you are really new at this.

That Scosche wiring harness plugs into the main harness of your car (it does NOT plug into the stereo). Your aftermarket stereo will come with a similar looking wire harness to attach to the stereo. You will have to look at the directions for both the Scosche wiring harness, and your new stereo's harness to locate which wire does what, then solder the matching wires together and use heat shrink tubing to seal them (you can use butt connectors but again, this can lead to interference and poor output).

That Scosche wiring harness is what I used to hook up my Pioneer AVH-3400-BH in my 2008 Matrix.