2008 Strange Noise When Braking

Good Morning,

I just bought my corolla (used) in July and it has around 40,000 miles on it. It's a sports edition. No problems so far.

This morning, when I was driving in stop and go traffic to work, the breaks made a strange noise every time I hit them. It was a clicking noise and reminded me of a glass bottle rolling forward and then hitting a wall. Not a quiet noise either, I could hear it with the radio on. I tried to go gentle on them but it didn't help.

Does anyone know what may be causing this? I'm planning on calling my dealer during my lunch break but I want to learn as much as I can first.

Thank you,
Leanne

I just had the same problem...

did you check the brake pads on the front side? I suggest you to see if they are good. If they are good then take them out and clean the brake pads and the break components using break cleaner or replace them if they are bad. Remember, the brakes pads need to move everytime you press the brakes and there are two metalic plates one at the top of the pads and another at the botton used by the pads as guides. I placed high temp synthetic grease (mobil) on those guides (not on the brakes surface that touch the brake disc) and a small amount of that grease on the external surface of the pads (that touch the piston and that NOT face the break disc). Now my car makes no noisy from the breaks.

Just in case... I am giving this suggestion and it is up to you to follow it or not. If you do not understand anything about breaks better take the car to the dealer.

Hope this will be enough.
Jose

Hi Jose,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm an idiot--how's this for a laugh--it really WAS a glass bottle rolling forward and back under my seat :[

Sorry to waste your time! I'm such a fool haha

At least I was right about what it sounded like ;)