2009 Corolla 1.8 L XLE Idling issue

alhas

Hello,

Recently I noticed my car would shake badly when idling, usually only in reverse or drive, not in park or neutral. After trying seafoam in the fuel tank, that did not resolve the issue. I then had the spark plugs replaced and that seemed to fix it, but the next day the issue came back. I then had the entire throttle body and mass airflow intake cleaned. Again, it temporarily seemed to have fixed the issue, but then it returned. I went to start my car and it was shaking like crazy. Finally got it to start by accelerating while turning the ignition, but rode rough driving. I had a mechanic look at it and they said the throttle body wouldn't relearn and that it needed to be replaced. i have replaced the throttle body and done a relearn procedure. It seemed to do the trick. I was driving home today and it is just as bad as when this initially started. I am stumped on what else this could be. I don't know if it's my cars computer system. Please help!

Hello,

Recently I noticed my car would shake badly when idling, usually only in reverse or drive, not in park or neutral. After trying seafoam in the fuel tank, that did not resolve the issue. I then had the spark plugs replaced and that seemed to fix it, but the next day the issue came back. I then had the entire throttle body and mass airflow intake cleaned. Again, it temporarily seemed to have fixed the issue, but then it returned. I went to start my car and it was shaking like crazy. Finally got it to start by accelerating while turning the ignition, but rode rough driving. I had a mechanic look at it and they said the throttle body wouldn't relearn and that it needed to be replaced. i have replaced the throttle body and done a relearn procedure. It seemed to do the trick. I was driving home today and it is just as bad as when this initially started. I am stumped on what else this could be. I don't know if it's my cars computer system. Please help!
Sounds like it's the mass air flow sensor. You can get a can of mass air flow sensor cleaner for about 10$ . If you just clean it and put it back in and nothing else. And if it runs better for a few than that is your problem. But don't use anything but that to clean it with.

Sounds like it's the mass air flow sensor. You can get a can of mass air flow sensor cleaner for about 10$ . If you just clean it and put it back in and nothing else. And if it runs better for a few than that is your problem. But don't use anything but that to clean it with.
Thanks for the advice. I did actually buy the mass air flow cleaner and did that prior to replacing the throttle body. Come to find out my car had a blown head gasket, so there was a compression bleed between the 1 and 2 cylinders. It was going to be too expensive to get a new engine so I sold the car to a salvage lot.