2009 Corolla - Bad Smells With A/C

Hello All, I have Corolla 2009 year model. My Car A/C Smells badly when switch on. Particularly when switch on the Air Circulator mode. Could you please someone help me how to solve this problem ?

Note : I recently changed the Air filter and Dashboard filter also.

Thanks in Advance !!
~Kumar

Last edited:
Hmm. That's rather bizarre. I was gonna guess to switch out the air filter, but you've already done that. I'd take it to the mechanic or used Toyota dealer, or whomever you purchased the Corolla from, and have them look at the valves to make sure there aren't any cracks that could be taking in all the smells that happen underneath the hood. Surprised you're still getting that smell with the air circulator mode on, too.

you could also do a cabin system de-molding cleaning. i know we do it at sears and it runs like 30 bucks. it basically cleans out all the bacteria and mold out of your vents, it smells pretty good too. but i agree with Arrowhead, have someone look at the valves ot blend door and make sure everything is ok.

Wynns has a fungi spray for automotive use. Just follow directions on can it works really well. Spraying both cores will take the smelly feet odor right out.

Odd that you get odors with cabin circulation. I have an '09 S model, and when cabin circulation is off, I get a funkiness from my cabin filter--even after I've vacuumed it.

Did you buy the car new? If used, when did you notice the odor? I'd say your cabin filter has nothing to do with the smells you're experiencing. You may want to speak to some shops who specialize in air conditioning-related issues. Forget taking it to a dealer, as I'm sure the first words out of their mouths will be, "We've never heard of THAT before."

Try checking the A/C condenser drip. Usually a small rubber elbow on the firewall. Insects sense that there is water in there. The crawl in, but can't get back out - plugging up this drain for the A/C.

Its your cabin filter located behind the glove box. This needs to be replaced. I would urge everyone to buy the Haynes manual for the Corolla. You will need to buy a disinfectant as well. It explains everything in there. The dealer will charge you big bucks for a job that literally minutes to do.

Last edited by a moderator: