2009 Toyota Corolla oil pressure gauge install

So I ordered some gauges without researching and I ran into some problems. I ordered a tachometer and realize that its not a line I can tap into. They make a device that picks up the signal and gives me the 12 volts I need but it's $100 so I've written it off as not worth it. Does anyone know if I'll run into the same problem installing my oil pressure gauge? Sorry if this has already been discussed, I'm a new memeber and just figuring things out.

briar

speaking in generalities, I've not tried on my corolla but have installed them on many vehicles over the years.

If it is a mechanical oil pressure gauge you will need to add a fitting to a pressurized oil galley somewhere. If it is an electrical gauge, same thing... but instead of a tiny nylon oil line you will install a sending unit and have an electrical connection. A tee fitting may be used where the factory sending unit is located. I would not remove the factory sending unit, but add to it if I was going to do it.

Most people would recommend the electrical gauge. Mechanical gauges can be slow to react due to the restriction of the small nylon line. So they tend to read more of an average pressure instead of spikes or drops. (a momentary drop going around a curve is a sure indicator your oil level is low)

Electrical gauges can react much faster but usually the sending unit is sold separately (additional cost)

As a general rule, select a gauge with a range that puts the needle in mid travel at normal operating pressure.

speaking in generalities, I've not tried on my corolla but have installed them on many vehicles over the years.

If it is a mechanical oil pressure gauge you will need to add a fitting to a pressurized oil galley somewhere. If it is an electrical gauge, same thing... but instead of a tiny nylon oil line you will install a sending unit and have an electrical connection.

Most people would recommend the electrical gauge. Mechanical gauges can be slow to react due to the restriction of the small nylon line. So they tend to read more of an average pressure instead of spikes or drops. (a momentary drop going around a curve is a sure indicator your oil level is low)

Electrical gauges can react much faster but usually the sending unit is sold separately (additional cost)

As a general rule, select a gauge with a range that puts the needle in mid travel at normal operating pressure.
I've got an electric gauge with a sender.

I appreciate the quick reply. I got the digital oil pressure gauge installed and working well. Just in case anyone else is trying to install a digital tachometer in their 09' Corolla you'll need a distributor-less tachometer adapter which will pick up the signal and change it back to the 12v power you'll need for this gauge to run. For me it wasn't worth it seeing as the 09' already comes stock with a tachometer. I was just hoping for a cheap digital reading that I could play around with but $100 was too much too spend for my purposes.