2010 Corolla - Antenna Cable Question

Kev250R

This is my other car
Hi all, so from what I've read the small, lump on the roof of a 2010 Corolla is an antenna for Satellite radio. I have a portable Satellite reciever which connects to the stereo via the Aux port so what I'd like to do is use the existing satellite antenna on the roof. I know I'll need to make a jumper cable to run between the connector for the stock antenna to the dash, and I have an old Satellite antenna I can cut-up for this purpose, my question is how do I go about splicing these two cables (my jumper cable to the OEM satellite antenna cable) together?

Thanks for any help.

Kevin

Kev250R

This is my other car
DK That's what I was thinking too, although I wasn't sure if this is a coax-type cable (like a typical radio antenna) or not. I already identified the cable coming-down from the roof, it seems to run to an un-used connector with other un-used wires in the trunk. This will be a permanent install.

Fishy, the connector is in the trunk on the passenger-side behind the carpeted panel. I'm going to check to see if any of those other wires in that bundle have +12VDC on them, if they do I may also add 12V power-point in the trunk, which has nothing to with my satellite radio but may come-in handy someday for powering a 12V cooler or something of that sort.

Kevin

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Be interesting. to see if the red & black are the power leads but there are a few more colors with the Grey coax.

Guess the sat uses , or could it be a combo wit ha dvd player???? or Boombox? When you find out which are the power leads let us know I like to add a special line there to?

It will cut down on interference as well. You could also use a butt connector as well, as long as it is away from anything that'll create interference, but I prefer to solder when it is practical.

Kev250R

This is my other car
DK, I agree, solder is preferable to crimping (I do lots of both in real life) I just wasn't sure if it's a coax cable or not. Guess I'll find-out when I cut it out of the connector in the trunk :)

I'm hoping this works, seems kind of dumb to me to have something stuck to the roof of my car which doesn't have any use, unless you spend $$ for more satellite equip. For someone like me who moves his Sirius receiver from car-to-car though this set-up could work really well. If it doesn't I guess I'll need to install a mag-mount sat antenna like my trucks have LOL

Kevin

Toyota devotee for life. Just bought a 2013 Corolla S/LE. Antenna is in the windshield. Need a better one since I live in a rural area. No factory installed mounting for the body anywhere. Can I have a better one installed somehow? TIA

Also, how much should I expect to pay for it?

Last edited: