2010 Corolla Maintenance Required Lite Flashing and Oil is Fine

OK this may be a dumb question BUT here goes

This afternoon My wife's 2010 Corolla LE started flashing the maint required lite . It has 29,500 miles on it , the oil was changed at 28,000 miles and is fine i just checked it . the car is running just fine with zero issues .

So by design does this lite start flashing within 500 miles of the so called 30,000 mile service as a matter of routine ?? Or is there some other issue ?

the car has been religiously maintained and oil changed every 3000 miles .
Call me cynical but My assumption is this is just a PIA to get you to hit the dealership and their 400 dollar 30k service .:eek:

What do u guys think?

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbsup::clap::):thumbup::thumbup1::party:

The maintenance required light flashes at about 4,500 miles to remind you that the engine oil is scheduled to be changed soon. At 5,000 miles it will stay on reminding you the engine oil is recommended to be changed at 5,000 mile intervals.

Changing engine oil every 3,000 miles was fine in the 1960's, but a lot of advancements in engine design and oil formulation technology have occurred over the past 50+ years and the 3,000 mile drain pain is thankfully a thing of the past. Changing the engine oil too often wastes money, natural resources, increases environmental waste and can also cause accelerated engine wear in dry engine starts more often than needed. Every time the engine oil is changed, the engine oil system loses pressure and the first engine start is a dry start with metal-to-metal wear occurring, greatly accelerating engine wear. Even the greedy big oil industry doesn't recommend the 3,000 mile drain pain anymore and are now recommending 5,000 mile oil drain intervals. Many vehicle manufacturers are recommending 7,500 mile oil drain intervals and even further, up to 15,000 miles or one year. With AMSOIL synthetic motor oils, "The First in Synthetics", (tm), recommended drain intervals are up to 25,000 miles.

I don't advise scrimping on scheduled maintenance. Neglecting regular maintenance with a vehicle can lead to very expensive repairs that far exceed the cost of the suggested maintenance that would have prevented the expensive repair. Maintenance bills for a vehicle are steadier than repair bills but are far less expensive than repair bills.

Below is a short video that shows how to reset the maintenance required light. I hope this answers your question and helps you out. If your browse the forum I think you will find many interesting videos and topics of discussion. There are many good folks here. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for a prompt reply and the vid its much appreciated :thumbsup:.

My indie shop obviously forgot to reset the lite at the last change :eek:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Fantastic! :thumbsup: :) Thank you for the feedback. I really enjoy helping people with their vehicles.

I hope you stick around and enjoy the forum. There are some really great people here and there are many topics of discussion and wonderful videos on a wide range of topics to learn from.