2010 Corolla Oil Change info

I have a 2010 Corolla 1.8L automatic. Manual states oil changes every 5k-7500 miles using 0w-20 or 5w-20. I picked up a K&N filter from Advanced auto parts (their top rated oil filter) which they said can go for 10K miles. I picked up Quaker state oil 0w-20 (non-synthetic) as well.

Few questions I have-

I've always been told oil is oil, as long as it's SAE certified, and to get the best filter possible. Am I OK to use this oil for 10K like the oil filter states or should I use it for 5K-7500K as the manual states? Guy at the store said Quaker state will only last 3K...

I have about 20K miles on mine and plan to run it into the ground for at least another 7-8 years. I live in the Buffalo, NY area so lots of salt/snow/cold weather to put up with. What kind of oil and filters do you all use?

Should I use regular or synthetic oil in the future?

srv524 - Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :)

For best fuel economy and cold start lubrication, Toyota has the preferred recommendation of 0W-20.

I have been using AMSOIL synthetic motor oils, "The First in Synthetics", (TM), for many years with outstanding results. I'm an AMSOIL synthetic lubricants Dealer so some might consider my opinion biased, but I firmly believe AMSOIL is the finest product of it's kind in the world or I wouldn't even be an AMSOIL Dealer. :)

Most of the, "synthetic oils", on the market today are not really synthetic oils at all in the traditional sense of the term, but are merely petroleum oils pumped from the ground and subjected to more refining. Since there are so many man-made processes used in the manufacture of this, "synthetic oil", this has been determined that it's okay to refer to them as, "synthetic oils". I totally disagree and feel that is deceiving the consumer in a big way. Below is a 5 minute video from my YouTube channel on what synthetic oils really are and why AMSOIL synthetic oils lead the pack.

Synthetic Oil Basics

You should only use a quality synthetic oil if you want your Corolla to deliver superior fuel economy, more power/better throttle response, a cooler running engine, reduced emissions, an internally cleaner and longer lasting engine, much easier cold winter engine starts and lubrication as well as fantastic environmental benefits too.

Below is a link to the absolute best article I've ever read on high quality synthetic oils and why they are such a slam-dunk vastly superior choice than dead dinosaur petroleum oils -

Synthetic Oils: Rx For Long Engine Life

http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/syntheticoil/

Oils are not oils, no more than cars are cars, tires are tires, brakes are brakes, etc. A Chevrolet Corvette and a Chevrolet Cobalt are both cars, but the similarity ends there. So it goes with motor oils too.

As for the recommended drain interval of the oil we can go to a given oil companies website to find out what their recommendations are for their product and Quaker State recommends following the vehicle manufacturers recommended drain interval only and doesn't recommend extended drain intervals with their products synthetic or otherwise.

The 3,000 mile drain pain belongs on the ash head of history. See the video below -

Why You Shouldn't Change Your Oil Every 3,000 Miles

I don't recommend using a standard drain petroleum oil in extended drain service as this can be asking for expensive engine trouble. Standard drain petroleum oils can be quite expensive to use vs. high quality extended drain synthetic oils like AMSOIL which protect an engine for up to 25,000 miles.

How many miles are currently on your Corolla?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Scott. My vehicle is currently at 20K miles and was a leased vehicle for 3 yrs so it has light wear and tear from what I can tell/feel.

So if I'm looking at AMSOIL 0W-20, how much does the oil filter matter if the oil has a 25,000 mile extended drain interval? In other words...will the oil filter keep up with the oil itself, or do I merely change the oil filter and not the oil?

AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-20 has a recommended drain interval of up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. The AMSOIL Absolute Efficiency oil filter for your car is recommended for 15,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in normal or severe service. So if you drive less than 15,000 miles in a year you'll only need one oil and filter change per year, saving you money and time. If you drive more than 15,000 miles in a year but less than 25,000 miles, you'll only need to change the oil filter at 15,000 miles and that's it.

Below is an exploded view of the AMSOIL Absolute Efficiency oil filter and below that are some comparative industry standard oil filter test results. I'll PM a price for you.

Here is a link to the product description of the AMSOIL oil filter - http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...-systems/oil/amsoil-ea-oil-filters/?zo=349698

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Thinking out loud:

Oil filter needs changing every 5k-10k, type of driving one does will vary. And Oil is not being changed, but kept in for a longer extended period?

For a engine to run trouble free, will be changing both, the oil and filter more frequently.

Holding back on these changes, I wish you good engine health. Syn or regular.

Oil filter change frequency is dependent upon the design and quality of the oil filter, i.e. if it's designed for extended intervals or not. No benefit to changing an oil if it doesn't need to be because it's formulated for safe extended drain intervals. :thumbsup: :)

Fishy- I actually viewed your youtube tutorials a few weeks back as I was getting ready to change the oil. It's been changed about 3x so far but 1st for me and it was brutal to unlock it.

I used the Quaker State 5w-20 regular oil and the K&N filter. I'll change it in 5k-7500k miles and start using the good synthetic stuff from that point on.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Fishy- I actually viewed your youtube tutorials a few weeks back as I was getting ready to change the oil. It's been changed about 3x so far but 1st for me and it was brutal to unlock it.

I used the Quaker State 5w-20 regular oil and the K&N filter. I'll change it in 5k-7500k miles and start using the good synthetic stuff from that point on.
Thanks. As long as you found it helpful, that I cannot complain on.

Whatever brand we place in. and the driving conditions, following a maintenance schedule, and the rest goes a long way. no one can argue that.

i have a 98 corolla 3spd/AT with 163k. i use castrol 5w30 for high mileage cars. for the first 1500 miles of an oil change, i burn NO oil. AFTER 1500 mi, i burn ALOT and quickly after that. eg: 1 qt every 4-500 miles. even faster if i drive alot of hwy speeds. is that cuz of viscosity breakdown? incidentally, 3 of us at work have compared other dinosaur oils(PENNZOIL) to castrol and all 3 of us got 2-3mpg better on different vehicles with castrol

i have a 98 corolla 3spd/AT with 163k. i use castrol 5w30 for high mileage cars. for the first 1500 miles of an oil change, i burn NO oil. AFTER 1500 mi, i burn ALOT and quickly after that. eg: 1 qt every 4-500 miles. even faster if i drive alot of hwy speeds. is that cuz of viscosity breakdown? incidentally, 3 of us at work have compared other dinosaur oils(PENNZOIL) to castrol and all 3 of us got 2-3mpg better on different vehicles with castrol
That could indicate viscosity beakdown. That could also indicate that your oil filter is clogged after 1500 miles and the oil is bypassing the filter. Dirty oil does not seal well and will go right past the piston rings. Try changing your filter after 1500 miles or using a better filter.

If you are using standard oil then change it every 5k miles. If you are using synthetic 0w-20 then you can go to 7500 miles. I would never push a standard oil past 5k miles as you are asking for trouble with the possibility of sludge starting to build up. Change it and play it safe. I've used Mobil 1 and Toyota filters on my cars for 30+ years with excellent results.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
If you are using standard oil then change it every 5k miles. If you are using synthetic 0w-20 then you can go to 7500 miles. I would never push a standard oil past 5k miles as you are asking for trouble with the possibility of sludge starting to build up. Change it and play it safe. I've used Mobil 1 and Toyota filters on my cars for 30+ years with excellent results.
thank you for reminding me I am again ready for a 10K oil change 5w-20, I got 2k more to go. be on the 90K oil change marl about 12 changes Lol so the saying to each their own.