• Tranny

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Axle

• Sensor

• Total voters
Hi All,

I have a 2010 corolla. Auto. 186k miles. Yesterday the car stopped driving forward with no warning signs at all.

I was fortunately a mile and a half away from my house after a 700 mile round trip when this happened.

Here is what I know:

For the last 20 or 30 thousand miles my CV joints have been getting progressively worse.

They only click when turning, but the required turning radius for the clicking is getting wider.

The transmission never showed signs of trouble. No high revs, no slips, no late shifts.

I had pulled up to a stop light when the failure occurred. When the light turned green, I was unable to move forward.

Reverse works just fine. I can feel the car shift back into drive when I shift from reverse.

If I put the car on jacks, and put it in drive, both wheels spin.

If i accelerate on the jack stands, the wheels do not move faster, but the car flashes the traction control light indicating a wheel slippage. This does not happen on the ground.

There are no check engine lights.

With the car on stands and in park, I can spin the passenger front wheel and the drivers wheel will spin the opposite way. (i think this is in both directions...)

My guess is an axle. What do you guys think?

Axle, or maybe hub?
My 2010 Corolla (5 speed) had like 240,000 miles on it when it was finally wrecked in spectacular fashion. The ONLY problem we ever had with it was the front hubs. They were replaced at about 220,000 miles.

I've not changed a CV joint in a Corolla, but I have in other cars. With all other cars I've replaced this part on, I had to remove the hub to get tot he CV joint anyway, so I replaced the hub at the same time. Just a thought.

Please report back when you know more. Interesting problem. And you're braver than me to drive 700 miles with a known cv joint issue! I'd be on pins and needles the whole trip!