2010 Corolla - Poor Gas Mileage

I had a feeling that I wasn't getting the best gas mileage. I filled up and reset my odometer. I am at half a tank and it reads 167 miles. Would anybody be able to tell me why my gas mileage is so bad. Or is this normal for a Corolla? I used to have an Altima and I got better mileage on that but the Corolla apparently has a better MPG. I just change the engine filter too. I have a 2010. Thanks :)

Kev250R

This is my other car
I'm getting close to 30MPG in my '10 Corolla, however probably 60% of my driving of late has been highway driving and when I drive around town it tends to idle a fair bit. If you check the Fuelly website it'll show you real-world comparisons of what people with your same car are getting. I don't honestly remember how many miles I get before the tank gets to a half but it's probably close to 170 miles. Last Sunday I drove just over 200 miles on a little more than half a tank, but that was 100% open highway driving.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/corolla/2010/Kev250R/310542

Kevin

I had a feeling that I wasn't getting the best gas mileage. I filled up and reset my odometer. I am at half a tank and it reads 167 miles. Would anybody be able to tell me why my gas mileage is so bad. Or is this normal for a Corolla? I used to have an Altima and I got better mileage on that but the Corolla apparently has a better MPG. I just change the engine filter too. I have a 2010. Thanks :)
So what's the actual MPG? Go through several fuel tanks of fuel and for each tank divide the miles traveled by the gallons used and then you'll have an actual MPG number.

Roughly guessing, at half a tank that's about 6 gallons used and 167 miles divided by 6 gallons is 27.83 mpg.

The combined city/highway EPA fuel economy rating for your 2010 Corolla is 25 -31 mpg, depending on how your car is equipped - http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Powe...r2=2011&make=Toyota&model=Corolla&srchtyp=ymm

With the guessing numbers used above to roughly calculate the fuel economy, your Corolla is right in the middle of that EPA fuel economy rating. I'd say that's pretty darned good! :thumbsup::)

Also, we are now being force-fed winter blend gasoline, which causes fuel economy to be reduced about 10% and that's a big hit. There are many, many factors that affect fuel economy from car to car, including the style of driving, stop and go traffic, weather conditions, etc. It is not uncommon when winter comes along for motorists to start up their vehicles and let them idle for 5-10 minutes to warm up the car and then they wonder why the fuel economy is so terrible. Well that's because when that car is sitting still with the engine running, it is delivering exactly zero miles to the gallon and this totally blows apart any kind of decent fuel economy average.

Run a few tanks of fuel, calculate the exact fuel economy and I think you'll discover the mpg's aren't as bad as you might think. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It is 170 miles and the needle is just under half a tank. I do a lot of city driving for babysitting, I think that's why. I didn't think about that ha. I guess it's not so bad after all. :laughing:

Keep in mind also, gas gauges aren't accurate for calculating fuel economy. Gas gauges can stick and then suddenly drop and even if that didn't happen, it's still a very vague way to try to calculate fuel economy. If say for example a car was getting 30 mpg and the gas gauge was on 1/2 tank, then the needle wont even move for another 30 miles, but that doesn't mean the car used zero gas. So the only way to accurately measure fuel economy is by filling the gas tank all the way, driving XX number of miles, refilling the gas tank and then dividing the miles traveled by the gallons used.

That's low mpg's guys, are y'all's automatic transmissions? Because when I drove mine for work before the work issued truck I was getting 36-39 depending if I babied it. Now if I cole trickle'd everywhere it was 30-32.

Yeah I understand that's what they post, I must have something majorly wrong with mine lol. Because city in my stock 5 speed 2010 I'm getting 32-34 and highway I'm getting 37-40.

I calculate it like everyone else does lol. That is calculated to my driving style. Literally when I drive it like I'm racing the entire tank the worst I've gotten was 30 mpg. I being honest though have no reason to lie lol. That why I was curious what y'all have modded/factory options to cause load, driving habits etc cause my gas mileage never drops below 35-36 usually unless I'm in a hurry to get somewhere all week.