2010 Corolla S Trunk Release Latch

Hello Everybody! Well I don't really have a problem but more of a simple solution. So simple the dealership couldn't figure it out! Anyways the only way I could open my trunk was with the key in the keyhole or the keymote button, the inside lever would not work! This really troubled me as I couldnt open it fast when i needed to while i had the car running (lazy I know!) so I had them check the problem while getting my routine complimentary maintenance and they could not figure it out and asked me to make another appointment. Now this *probably* would have been free and covered by the warranty (I have had the car 1 year 2 months and it has 11k on it) but I could not find the time to take it in with my current busy work schedule and I didn't want to take the chance of them charging me (I am cheap!). I decided to follow the cable all the way until I found it in the trunk, I popped off the vinyl/cardboard looking cover

I then noticed something wrong

So I put it back in place and VOILA problem that has been plagueing me and stumped the dealership fixed so simple.

With that not being clipped in place when you pull the handle it pulls the cable to the side and the cable does not pull tight enough to release the trunk, when it is clipped it pulls it straight back far enough to pop the trunk!

Now I know this is such a simple and easy fix you may be saying "duh this is so easy why even bother posting this" But that is the exact reason I am posting this, because it is so simple and easy it was obviously overlooked. Hope this helps at least one person now or down the line!

Last edited:
Trunk latch

Nice catch!

I've had intermittent problems with both of my 2010 LE's. Sometimes the latch handle works fine, other times no. I opeded up both and they are mounted correctly.

If it's taking it's usual snit, if I open with the remote it's likely to work right after, but not always.

Both of mine seem to have a fair amount of slack before the latch engages.

So, what I just tried, was to split a small nylock nut with a hack saw (1/4 - 20), open the gap with a hammer and screwdriver, slide it in behind the ball at cable end (see the previous post), then close it with pliers.
This made the handles in my car release "earlier."

They're working fine now, but time will tell.

Tom

the trunk release on my '09 corolla works sometimes. is there not a cable adjustment on the front of the cable? i see there are plastics covers under the rocker panel that might provide access. . .

Thanks, I just started having trouble with mine the other day and was wondering what it could be. I'll be checking this out on it tomorrow to see if that fixes the problem.

Great documentation job and just in time. I've been having intermittent trouble with the darn drivers-side release bar weakly opening it the trunk. Now nothing, could be the very same issue or like others who've posted, might need to add a plastic washer/bulb to take up the slack. If I took it in I'm sure they would charge for at least a half-hour diagnostic/fix or $60.00 for a simple fix. Thanks again.

Kev250R

This is my other car
That worked for me too, although now I need to find a way to make the cable for the fuel door tighter as it just barely opens the door. The last time I bought gas I'd pull up on the release and the door would open a small bit. I'd let go and walk towards the door and it would re-latch. This went on a couple of times until I wedged the lever inside the car up with a pen which allowed me to open the door. Would have been funny if I hadn't been in a rush to get on the road to see a relative who was in the Hospital. Okay it was still pretty funny :rolleyes:

Kevin

Thank you!!

Its been over 5 months since my trunk latch stopped working and I couldn't figure it out and I couldn't afford to get it fixed. After attempting this once I no longer have to cut the car off to get into my trunk!!!:thumbsup:

I just bought a Toyota Corolla 2010 and the previous owner had no clue how to fix it. I went to a mech shop to get the regular maintenance work done and I asked them about it. They told me that cable has to be replaced and with labor it will cost me $190.00. I came home and started googling and your post came up. Tried your advise in cold chilling conditions and it worked amazingly. The fix is priceless. Thanks for post. It has been a big help.

Hello Everybody! Well I don't really have a problem but more of a simple solution. So simple the dealership couldn't figure it out! Anyways the only way I could open my trunk was with the key in the keyhole or the keymote button, the inside lever would not work! This really troubled me as I couldnt open it fast when i needed to while i had the car running (lazy I know!) so I had them check the problem while getting my routine complimentary maintenance and they could not figure it out and asked me to make another appointment. Now this *probably* would have been free and covered by the warranty (I have had the car 1 year 2 months and it has 11k on it) but I could not find the time to take it in with my current busy work schedule and I didn't want to take the chance of them charging me (I am cheap!). I decided to follow the cable all the way until I found it in the trunk, I popped off the vinyl/cardboard looking cover

So I put it back in place and VOILA problem that has been plagueing me and stumped the dealership fixed so simple.

With that not being clipped in place when you pull the handle it pulls the cable to the side and the cable does not pull tight enough to release the trunk, when it is clipped it pulls it straight back far enough to pop the trunk!

Now I know this is such a simple and easy fix you may be saying "duh this is so easy why even bother posting this" But that is the exact reason I am posting this, because it is so simple and easy it was obviously overlooked. Hope this helps at least one person now or down the line!

Just fixed the exact same thing on my 2012 Corolla LE in 5 minutes thanks to your post. Thank you for posting clear pictures of how the cable attaches to the assembly.

I just bought a Toyota Corolla 2010 and the previous owner had no clue how to fix it. I went to a mech shop to get the regular maintenance work done and I asked them about it. They told me that cable has to be replaced and with labor, it will cost me $190.00. I came home and started googling and your post came up. Tried your advice in cold chilling conditions and it worked amazingly. The fix is priceless. Thanks for the post. It has been a big help.
Even with the most basic of things to fix. The Mechanics will always try to sell you parts and labor that you don't need! It's awesome to save a few hundred Dollars here and there. I do my own work...and saved thousands! I simply removed the inner panel under the trunk hood just enough to access the locking mechanism and reattached the cable back into the lever. Then for good measure, I used a small Zip Tie to reinforce the cable in the lever slot...and it isn't going anywhere. Problem Solved!