2010 CV Boot crack/leak

Took my 2010 Corolla to Dealer for a routine oil change a few days ago. It has less than 49,000 miles. The Service Rep., who I learned was fairly new there, gave me a long list of things that needed to be done which seemed questionable to me. I didn't agree to have anything done at that time until I could check manual and maybe get second opinion. The one thing that concerned me most was that he said CV Boot on passenger side was cracked and leaking and would cost $333. Took car next day to a reputable Tire and Repair company near me. He put the car on the rack and informed me that there was no crack and that with such low mileage it would be unlikely to find. Cost there would have been $165. Both places would replace left axial and not just the boot. For about 4 days I have checked for a leak by placing cloth on garage floor. No signs but don't know if there would be. I understand there are noises you should listen for if there is a problem but since I have a hearing impairment that's not reliable. Would like to know if anyone else has any experience with this. Will you see the leak on the floor? Should I get a third opinion to be sure?

oh yeah Elizabeth, to confirm you need to ask the advisor of the shop that their technician needs to verify every line of the rubber boots ( what i mean is, if it is a thorough checkup, the technician will turn the wheels and slowly check the cv axles checking for grease leak on the boots (inner and outer for every side) and oil leak on the might come from the axle seal. the technician might need to tell you what level of leak ( sweating leak, broken rubber boots ( small or big cut/s)) if theres any.

they need to test drive it too, and able to tell you if there are noises coming from the axles, again, if the noise is coming from the inner or outer. you can have a friend in the car and listen to the noises.

for example, in order for you to know if the outer CVs are worn out or damaged, you can replicate it by doing a parking maneuvering, like you turn the the wheels , all the way to the right then go into circles and vice versa. if you heard a noise, one of you can check it by opening the window on each side and find where the noise is louder. you know what i mean.

OR whilst your corolla is up the hoist, ask if you can go and take a look with the tech. tell them you were just curious about it and wanting to see whats going on OR ask them right away before accepting your car for checkup if you can go inside and see it whilst up on the hoist.

Ashton, thank you so much for your reply. Have copied and printed it. Pretty sure dealership didn't do all that much checking considering it only took a few minutes to come back with a list of things to be done. Planning to have someone ride with me to check for noise as I have done this by myself and have not heard anything. However, doesn't help being deaf in right ear which is the side dealership indicated cracked CV boot was on. Have been told this dealership won't allow you in shop area so I may try for a third opinion after the holidays just to be sure. Had this been the only thing on the list of things to be done I would have been less suspicious or if there hadn't been other questionable items. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

A CV axle doesn't leak like an oil pan does. The grease in the CV boot is heavy and not thin like oil. If the boot is leaking or some other issue, you will see the grease splattered on surrounding parts and frame. I don't think it will leak on to the floor as the other parts and frame don't get hot enough to melt the grease and have it drip on to the floor.

If all of the grease is out of the boot, the joint will be metal on metal and you will hear a clunking noise when turning the wheel one way or the other. If really bad, the front end might jump when turning the wheel hard because it is metal on metal. Depending on the pace of the grease exiting the boot, you may not hear any noise from the CV joint for a long time. It is unlikely that all of the grease exits the boot like happens when you remove the oil drain plug. Of course, if the boot fell off or was removed or had a big slit in the side etc. would cause mass exodus but that is very rare.

Simply jack up the front end and look all around the CV axles and see if you see grease spattered all around. The axle tuns at a high rate so the grease would splatter fast and hard.

Check youtube for CV axle videos and you will see exactly how they work and can talk intelligently when you challenge the repair shop! :)

Good luck!

Jason