2010 Oil Change

Hello,
I wanted to know do I really need to oil change at 5k? This time I am really busy and my maintenance light already showing and its about 4.6k. Can it be problematic if I change the oil around 5.5k? I will be making sure the oil is good range.

Thanks

Using average oil, be sure to follow the recommendations in your owners manual to avoid expensive engine damage. Oil is the lifeblood of an engine and aside from tires and brakes, (safety issues), is the most important consideration for your car.

Your 2012 Corolla has its engine factory filled with a 0W-20 synthetic motor oil and that is what Toyota recommends for subsequent oil changes.

A competent quick lube should be able to get you in and on the road again in about 30 minutes or so.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Toyota shop. Back in the break room these are the two types of Oils you will be using, for your 2010 corolla. if a 2012 a synthetic. yep ?. The person I sat down with. can not be put on film or podcast. so on that note it is a choice to make. Jiffylube
http://www.spoofee.com/jiffy-lube-gift-card/deals/838652#.U71pE8PD8qQ

has a good deal, if interested, but I am sure if you hop into Toyota, they may swing a better bargain.

careful thre are three types of oil here

Last edited:
Change it every 10k is the interval for the 2ZR-FE. At 5k you gotta get tires rotated and everything checked. They will reset the light for you.

And no, going 500 miles over won't kill you.

larg

if you use dinosaur oil, change every 5K, synthetic oil can last 10K. after 5K, dino oil is dirty, drain it and get a new filter at 10K. im at 160K and still waiting to blow it up. the a/c stopped working 4 yrs ago and if they had "A/C pro with leak sealer" i wouldnt have replaced the compressor with a pulley bypass.

Kev250R

This is my other car
So since we're on the subject, what's the trick with getting the #@!&^* canister oil filter off? I did an oil change last weekend on my Corolla and for the life of me was unable to get the filter off. my car was previously dealer-maintained and they seemed to over-tighten everything they touched, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a trick or something obvious I was missing, thanks.

Kevin

Yup. I held mine with a screwdriver while I went to town on the cap. You can use a standard oil filter wrench on it as well but the socket would be best (and I noticed I marked up the cap with the filter wrench so I'll probably get the socket for it).

fishycomics

Super Moderator
the canister has about four or so smallslots of the whole diameter, as well where the locking tab prevents it from slipping the canister off. keep it lubed, t he tab isflexable, incase it gets damaged, or broken.