2011 my first toyota.

always been a ford person. just traded in my old ford ranger for a 2011 corolla with 38,500 miles. feels like a new car to me. had a few questions.

1. this takes synthetic oil. the owners manual says change every 5000 miles. I thought synthetic can go longer?
2. how often should transmission fluid be changed? does just the fluid get changed or a filter also?
3. how often should coolant be flushed/changed?

thanks. :)

macgeek

mine seems to be every 5000 miles if I use regular oil, 10,000 if I use synthetic. which is confusing because I thought a mechanic told me this car takes synthetic. so synthetic dont need to be changed at 5000 miles does it?

mine seems to be every 5000 miles if I use regular oil, 10,000 if I use synthetic. which is confusing because I thought a mechanic told me this car takes synthetic. so synthetic dont need to be changed at 5000 miles does it?
read your manual it is in there. Mine uses synthetic and every 8000 kms. I believe the 2011 is the same as my 2013.

always been a ford person. just traded in my old ford ranger for a 2011 corolla with 38,500 miles. feels like a new car to me. had a few questions.

1. this takes synthetic oil. the owners manual says change every 5000 miles. I thought synthetic can go longer?
2. how often should transmission fluid be changed? does just the fluid get changed or a filter also?
3. how often should coolant be flushed/changed?

thanks. :)
Welcome to the Toyota family. This is by far a more reliable brand.

1. 2011 uses 0w20. It only comes as synthetic. Toyota recommends 10,000 miles oil changes for this model. I personally can’t help it every 5000 miles. Old habits die hard.

2. Assuming it’s an automatic, you want to flush your transmission every 30,000 miles. Flushing a transmission replaces the fluid in both the transmission and torque converter. So you’ll have a cleaner tranny. There’s a filter for your transmission. Seems dealers refuse to change them.

3. You want to drain and flush(with water) your coolant every 100,000 miles. Refill it with Toyota antifreeze. It’s actually one of the best products there is.