2011 oil filter cap

Zinul

I just took my 2011 Corolla for an oil change. The mechanic showed me the silver coloured metal tube inside was shaking. He made me change it at cost of $85? Was that necessary?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Did he bring you under the car to show you Pic A, ot did he bring you the cap and to show you pic B?

I ask to understand more clearly ?

1, the Paper filter needs something to hold in place, and as well on the car, so pic B twists on into Pic A. Only way to damage this is to have some one do the oil change Wrong , I have 2 corollas same oil caps,and I do my changes and never damaged or seen a loose part, I have struggled to get it off and still never damaged it?

You asked is it necessary. Scott and Don are on a vacation and Love to hear their thoughts. You could probably get away without replacing it. for sure.

Did they replace the whole cap and all or just the inside, personally this is one reason I don't trust shops. But we have to take their word for it

A

B

Zinul

Thanks for replying and with pictures, too. He showed me the cap and I requested to see how it works, so he showed me the car, also.

I suspected that he broke it and I asked politely how it could come loose, but he said it was a common problem with some other cars. I think he said BMW'S and Benz. You are probably right that he pulled the aluminum part in the cap with a pliers.

Zinul

Just for my own clarification. Since the metal part on the car ( picA ) is rigid, and the aluminum part on the cap (pic B) fits onto that and is held tightly by a spring in the aluminum tube in the cap ( pic B), should the aluminum tube still shake even though its base is not held down in the cap?

The mechanic said it will shake and oil could get into the engine block and damage the engine.

Even if the base came loose on its own from age, as the mechanic said, would Toyota use a part so fragile that a simple loose part in an oil filter cap could damage a whole engine? I am curious.

Zinul

I examined the old filter housing/cap and realized that the mechanic could not have pulled up the aluminum tube with a screw driver.

The base of the aluminum tube was either glued on to the 4 black plastic tabs at the bottom of the housing or attached some other way I still cannot figure out.

The problem seems to more with the Toyota part than with the mechanic.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
great to hear.. I just did my oil change, so that means you will wait for an answer till I do it again

, honestly change machanics.

and I cannot remember how its on I am on 15 changes, plus 3 and like said I don't trust shops.

t

No, it is an automotive repair shop.
Amazon sells an aluminum cap with the parts separately. The perforated tube is held by pressure by a locking tab.

I now suspect that the mechanic deliberately released the pressure to make it appear faulty.

I have been using that shop for 25 years but the original owner passed away a few years ago. His son now runs the business but he is not as good as his dad. Seems to have lost some of his dad's customers.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
not knowing this things can happen and that we understand. being open and honest about things.. wins anyone over.

the part cost $24.00 lowest price found free shipping or $43.00 tops found

$85.00 where did the other $50.00 go?

If it was not done deliberately, then the assistant (he just started working there) who changed the oil must have twisted the perforated tube using a pair of pliers, believing that he had to do that to remove the filter; similar to what you suggested in the first instance.

Of course, they are not honest and smart enough to admit their mistake and replace the part at their reduced price from their supplier, if that is what happened.

They have just lost a customer of 25 years.

I will let this go and move on. Thanks once more for your kind input.

not knowing this things can happen and that we understand. being open and honest about things.. wins anyone over.

the part cost $24.00 lowest price found free shipping or $43.00 tops found

$85.00 where did the other $50.00 go?
Most likely they got the part from a dealership. Then they marked the part up. Shops always mark parts up, it's an industry standard.

I'm not familiar with this engine so I won't go as far as saying the mechanic broke it. I will say that in my career working on vehicles, I have damaged one cap and that was my fault. I've never seen any caps with damage like that where the damage was NOT caused by a technician.

I agree that it could have been more accidental by a technician rather than deliberate.

I was angry because I supported that shop for 25 years and expected better treatment.

Thanks for you comments. This issue is behind me now.

Take care.