2012 Corolla High RPM

Hi,

I just got a 2012 Toyota Corolla L (4 speed automatic) from my friend and observed that it is running at high RPM compared to my accord. It is running at 2900 rpm at 70 mph and about 3400 rpm at 80 mph. I checked it to make sure it is not in 3rd gear. It's running in 'D' mode. Is it normal for corollas to run at these RPMs? Are there any precautions to be taken to avoid any long term damage to the car? Please advise.

Thanks

faster you go the higher the RPM. my 5 speed spins just under 2000 when going 100km (65ish mph I think). for a 4 speed going the speeds you going sounds about right

It's all torque multiplication. Smaller engines need to spin higher to get in their powerband, so gearing is more shallow as a result. My '82 Mustang GT did 2000 rpm at 75 in 4th gear (was a 4 speed), but it was a V-8. My Matrix did around 3200 at 75 in 5th and the Corolla does 2600 in 6th because they are four-bangers.

Kev250R

This is my other car
It's normal, my 2010 does it too. On a related note does anyone know if the four-speed auto in these cars has an overdrive?

Kevin

IFMJohn

It does have OD.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com