2012 Corolla - Oil Change Decreased MPG

I changed the oil in my 2012 corolla roughly two weeks ago, and ever since, my MPG significantly changed. I used to get around 30-35 mpg and now I get roughly around 20 MPG or even less. Is there any way the oil change could have caused this? could there be something else going on with my car? if so, what could it be?

Thanks for all your help!

As you can clearly tell, I'm new to driving and to corollas :'(

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbsup::clap::):thumbup::thumbup1::balloon: :rockon:

Those are wildly fluctuating MPG's.

How are you calculating the miles per gallon?

Last edited:

Kev250R

This is my other car
I doubt the change in MPG is related to the recent oil change, my guess would be a low tire. I've found the TPMS in my Corolla leaves a bit to be desired.

If the tire pressures all check-out reach-down and feel each of the wheels after a drive at highway speeds. If one wheel is significantly warmer than the others that could be a sign of a failing wheel bearing or dragging brake, both of which will cause MPG's to drop.

Lastly check the engine air filter, a dirty one will cause MPG's to drop, but it generally doesn't happen quite that quickly or that dramatically.

Good luck!

Kevin

Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbsup::clap::):thumbup::thumbup1::balloon: :rockon:

Those are wildly fluctuating mpg's.

How are you calculating the miles per gallon?
Well, I may be calculating it wrong, but before the oil change, my gas tank would only go down 1/12 of a tank when driving to work. Today, it went down more than 1/8 of a tank by the time I got to work.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Calculate the actual MPG. Guessing isn't accurate. There are many, many factors that affect fuel economy. As long as you didn't change the engine from the 0W-20 synthetic motor oil it's supposed to have to a 20W-50 petroleum motor oil, an oil change will not affect fuel economy so drastically.

Fill up the gas tank all the way. Record the odometer reading. When you refill the gas tank, record the odometer reading again and record the amount of gallons it took to refill the gas tank to full. Then divide the miles traveled by the gallons used and that is the MPG.

For example; 200 miles travelled divided by 10 gallons of fuel used = 20 MPG.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Actually calculate the MPG and I think you will find it's not so bad. Gas gauges can also fluctuate quite a bit so don't use that as a guide.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
No one knows the Miles you drive to work. No one knows the speed you go. No one knows how fast you go from stand to highway speed. and No one knows if you pass people lightly, or heavy.

If we knew all that we give you a better answer.

And no one knows if you are in a Change of season. Gas, to 10% ethanol change. Winter is here, Skipping Fall, may be one reason for lower gas mileage.

An approx. 10 mpg decrease after an oil change? That's pretty drastic!
Me? I would go to my Autozone when they are not too busy and get a free scan and see what comes up there asap.

Lastly check the engine air filter, a dirty one will cause MPG's to drop, but it generally doesn't happen quite that quickly or that dramatically.

Good luck!

Kevin
This is not true on any car that measures air flow after the air filter. It used to be true and many people continued to repeat it even though it does not apply to any modern car.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

Kev250R

This is my other car
And you're willing to back that statement up with what? Maybe it's just my 20 years of desert off-road driving and wrenching speaking (how old did you say you are again? :shifty: ) but I've personally seen dirty air filters cause a notable decrease in MPG both on my modern fuel-injected rigs and my old-school carbed 'Buggies, MC and ATV's. And when I say dirty, I'm talking primarily dust (and to a lesser extent silt) which we have a lot of out in the Mojave desert here in the S/W.

Of course when I say dirty I mean these filters get a lot dirtier than any road-going car (or heavy truck) will typically get. For street use (as I stated) a dirty air filter will only make a negligible difference in MPG. But please, enlighten us on how where the MAF is installed does or doesn't effect MPG. I'm always open to new ideas that have been proven in the real-world :)

Kevin

Last edited:
Theoretically, John is correct. In a fuel-injected engine, the mass air flow sensor will determine the amount of air flowing through the engine, and will report this back to the PCM. The PCM takes this value, and the value from the intake air temperature sensor, and determines what amount of fuel should be going into the engine (this is fine-tuned with the reading from the upstream HO2S).

Effectively, the MAF and IAT sensors handle coarse fuel trim adjustment, with the upstream HO2S handling fine fuel trim adjustment. The only way, again, theoretically, that the engine will lose mileage with a dirty air filter, is when the air filter is so plugged up, that the needed flow rate of air necessary for the engine to maintain vehicle speed can no longer be supported by the air filter.

However, poor design of the intake ducting and poor mass airflow sensor location can cause a dirty air filter to reduce mileage.

The air filter has a larger plane surface area than the cross-sectional area of the mass airflow sensor, so air always travels slowly through the air filter, and accelerates as the cross-sectional area decreases, and should be at a stable velocity before being sent through the mass airflow sensor/intake air temperature assembly. If this design element is done poorly (such that the mass airflow sensor is reading air before the velocity truly settles), then a plugged air filter will increase the velocity of the air coming through and can trick the mass airflow sensor into thinking that more air is going into the engine than there actually is, causing the engine to run slightly rich while the HO2S fights this and gets back to a proper mix. Air is incredibly fluid, so you actually get a higher velocity through the center of the tube than you do through the edges of the tube, and twists and turns change this up as well.

Maybe it's just my 20 years of desert off-road driving and wrenching speaking (how old did you say you are again? :shifty: )
I've been working on cars my whole life. Congratulations on being older than I am. That's quite an accomplishment. I fix vehicles that cost a hell of a lot more than your Corolla for a living. I know a thing or two.

Even with what donabed said, to drop that much fuel economy due to a dirty filter? You'd have to replace your air filter with a brick.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

Kev250R

This is my other car
I've been working on cars my whole life. Congratulations on being older than I am. That's quite an accomplishment. I fix vehicles that cost a hell of a lot more than your Corolla for a living. I know a thing or two.
I've also been working on my cars for most of my life, even restored three in my own garage, as an avid off-roader/hot rodder it comes with the territory. My Corolla is easily the most boring/cheapest car in my garage. I have it because the family member I bought it for couldn't pay me back for it. Eventually it will go away in favor or something which can go play in the dirt.

If we're talking about work, well without people like me you'd have no lights and a harder time getting to work :D

Back to the original point, yes it would take a very dirty air cleaner to cause a marked-decrease in MPG. Do I think that the problem with a Corolla which drops 10 MPG following an oil change is all because of a dirty air filter? No, I never said that it was. Do I think that a dirty air filter could be a contributing factor to lower MPG's? Yes. Plus it's about the easiest part to check/change. Granted not as easy to check as a Donaldson air filter but it's still pretty easy (and costs a lot less to replace).

If you'd like to know my background and schooling regarding cars, PM me. You might be surprised by what certifications we share :)

Kevin

Last edited:
Man the original poster started this thread 2 months ago. I wonder if he ever solved his problem? To bad he didn't report back if he found the fix. It's always nice to read about a problem fix so Everybody can increase their knowledge.

Last edited: