2012 Corolla Paint Issue?

h-7

This is hard to explain but I need opinions.

My parents bought a 2012 Corolla in Sandy Beach. They on 5/25 Friday afternoon. We all went for a ride the next 5/26. At our first stop I noticed there was a black line appearing in the paint or as it turned out the black line is where the paint was. The mark is on the molding under the doors. Oddly it sees to be the 3 doors that has had a passengers. My theory is the shoe is at some point contacting that molding and rubbing. The day after they bought the car the marks were only on the front driver side and just starting on the back driver side. As the car has had about 2 weeks of use the marks have worsened. The dealer ship told my father that it was a scratch and basically would not do anything to help him.

Pictures as of 6/11/12.
This is under the driver side door.

This is under the back driver side door.

This is under the front passenger side door.

Any idea's what may be the issue?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

h-7

Typical parking lots but I do not think its been hit. I see no dents, and the paint issue started hours after they bought it. In fact the first time the paint issue was noticed was the next morning after they bought it. It had not been anywhere besides the Toyota dealer then their house. The black spots were small. They have just worsened over the last 2 weeks.

Your dealer is screwing with you, and doubt you will have any luck whatsoever in making them repair what is obviously a paint application issue. Poor primer is the culprit, I'll bet. If no other dealer will help you, you're going to have to bring this to the attention of Toyota USA.

By the way, was the Corolla manufactured in Canada or Mississippi? I'll bet it was Mississippi.

2012 Corolla paint issue

Hi, I'm the owner of the Corolla H-7 posted about. H-7 is my son. Looks like I'm going to have to contact Jim Lentz(CEO and Pres. of USA Toyota) .I have obsessive compulsive disorder and I'm Obsessing about this car. I know this car was not properly painted,If it was I wouldn't be having this problem. The dealer ship is telling me it is caused by outside influences. My husband is scratching the car every time he gets in and out. He wears a corrective boot to help him walk. The boot is covered with a sock, and pants leg. We were preached to about the extensive paint job Toyota has on their cars. What happened to mine? I just want to cry. My car was 20% made in Japan and 80% made in Mississippi. I feel like I fighting this battle all by myself. Thanks for your time and patience in this matter.:(:confused:

Last edited:
I knew it! Mississippi!

This reminds me of trouble a Yaris owner is experiencing. He bought a new Yaris, and not long afterward, the paint began peeling off the front of it. The dealer refused to help, and when Toyota reps looked at it, they accused the owner of replacing the entire front end with an aftermarket one, and refused his claim. As it turns out, the dealer damaged the nose upon receiving the car, and replaced it with a cheap knockoff.

He had a page about it on Facebook, entitled "My Toyota Yaris". It may still be active, so that you can see it for yourself.

I'll bet the paint is bad because of the fact your Corolla was made in Mississippi, or it was damaged by your dealer. Either way, it looks like you'll have to get it repaired at another dealer, or take your dealer to court. Toyota dealers are becoming known for their shady business practices, and Toyota USA aren't interested in "local" problems.

More info on peeling paint:

http://www.toyotalexusforum.com/toy...ast-warranty-but-only-3yrs-old-who-can-i.html

--------

From Toy2010 at ToyotaNation:

My mother has a 2010 Corolla purchased in July 2009 in New York. Metallic silver.

She takes meticulous care of her car and keeps it in the driveway. However, it has chipped and peeling paint all over the roof, and in multiple spots on the hood, trunk, doors, etc. In some cases it looks like the clear coat (maybe?) is peeling off in strange, irregular dime-sized spots; in other cases I can actually see black under a small chip.

Her last car, which was 10 years old -- also metallic silver, also kept in the driveway -- never had a single chip in it (maybe a scratch or two). And the paint job on my brother's 8 year old Saturn (kept in the same driveway) is also in mint condition.

Anyone else have this problem? She took it to the dealer, and they said, "Gee, that's weird." And that was it. So I accompanied her to the Toyota repair shop myself to ask them to fix it. Took it in this morning, waiting on word from the shop.

TO TOY2010:

"Gee, that's weird" is dealer-speak for "We don't give a rat's butt". I've had it fed to me as, "I've never heard of that before". Same thing. It's pretty much from the Toyota Dealer 101 playbook on how to diffuse any and all complaints: Make it sound like it's the first time you've heard it, so that the customer will think they are crazy.

You may feel all alone on your paint issue, but you are in good company. You know those signs people put up on telephone poles, advertising stuff like a furniture sale or whatever, and they have those little tabs on the bottom with a phone number you tear off? Make a bunch of those with the URL of your photos here, on Flickr, on YouTube, and wherever else you put them. MAKE THIS ISSUE VIRAL!!!

My wife has a 2010 , paint is terrible.No peeling ,just scratches.Marks all across the bottom of rocker panels from boots,shoes etc,scratches under all the door handles .Look at it the wrong way and ya got a new scratch.This car had more marks in the paint in 6 mths than her previous one had after 6 years.Dealer admitted they have had complaints but that's all we got out of them.

Still, don't you feel better?

Because the paint has all been reformulated to be more enviro-friendly!

(From South Park episode 'Smug Alert): Thank Yewww!

Toyota Corolla 2011 Paint Problems

I was looking for Toyota Corolla new cars paint issue forums for months now. I finally found this one. I have posted my problems on many other sites even I was told on one of the Camry forums that very few Corollas have paint problems.
I bought a new Toyota Corolla 2011 in late November 2011. The car is magnetic gray. In December I found a soft paint spot under the car door. When I touched the spot it was sticky so I was afraid to wipe it up and took the car to the dealership. As they wiped it the paint came off. They repainted that spot. Almost at the same time I found I have a chip on the hood. The dealership blamed me for this and refused to repaint that spot but just touchpainted it. In February - March 2012 I noticed I have dust/sand trapped in the paint under all the doors, on front and back bumpers. When I wiped up the water after washing the car even one of the dust/sand particles came off and I have the white primer showing under it. I took the car to the dealership I bought the car from but they refused to fix it and organize a Toyota Corporate representative visit. I tried through another dealership but no results. They assured me I won't have problems with the sand chipping off and no rust problems. A month after that I noticed a rust spot inside the car on the driver's door hinge. Took the car to the dealership from where I bought it and last week I had it fixed. Today a new problem, as I closed the trunk I noticed a round white spot of missing paint next to the number plate. Definitely does not look like a stone chip because all the edges are very smooth and also there is no logical explanation a stone to hit exactly that weird spot. I expect that when I take the car to the dealer they will say it is a stone chip. Looks like as if I had dust trapped there too which has come off.
I do not know what to do. This car turns to be a nightmare for me. Is there anybody else with similar issues?

Seems the silver, sandstone, and magnetic gray paints are the troublemakers. Also, the new plant in Mississippi is a contibutor or main source of the problem. Toyotas are made in the USA now, which only adds to the problems owners of those cars continue to experience. My advice? Trade it in on a non-USA-built Toyota, or a vehicle of another make.

D26

2012 Toyota Corolla paint peeling

I bought my 2012 Toyota Corolla brand new and I'm just now starting to notice problems with the paint. When it brought it in to the dealership they told me that it is more then likely from rocks off the road or from shoes rubbing on the paint. They explained that there is nothing they can do about it. I then called Toyota corporate office and they explained to me the same thing as well as my warranty is up and there is no recall on the car. This is just ridiculous to me and I feel like I should not have to pay for this to be repaired if it's just going to happen again. When I asked the dealership about how to not have this happen again they stated I can purchase bras for each side for $400 a piece, REALLY!!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I think we should all work together and complain to corporate so we can get this issue recalled.

Attachments

My first Toyota was a Tercel, then a 1992 Corolla LSX, 1989 corolla, 2001 Corolla, 1983 Corolla Corona (sweetheart), 2003 Corolla, 2008 Yaris, 2010 Corolla and now a 2004 Corolla. So I have had a few of the these reliable little cars.
my 2010 suffered from a poor paint just that I noticed and complained about shortly after I bought it. My complaints went nowhere. I was told that those where paint chips on the hood and front bra. No Way! I complained many time until I watched a salesman at a Toyota dealer here in Canada pitching a sale of a new 2013 or 2014 Rave4 to a couple. He through in an extra coat of Clear Coat for the front area and hood. Ah Ha! So they Know I thought. And so I did some research recently and learnt that Toyota has a Class Action suit running against them right now in USA about the poor paint. Further research came from body shops where I learnt about the removal of lead from the paint from 1989 to present. I know damn well that there are chemicals that they could put in the paint such as epoxy which is what oil & gas pipeline pipes are covered with and it is a very strong durable paint obviously. One sure way to protect the poor paint on your car is these clear transparent auto body films like GrafixPlastics, DuraShield, 3M PaintShield and others. They are cut to match the body parts of many vehicles. As a matter of fact I recently was looking at a Toyota Tundra in a dealer's show room that had this on the front bumper/bra area, front fenders up to the centre area and half of the hood. My present 2004 Corolla is going to get a fresh paint job in it's near future to fix the chips already there and the get covered. Perhaps the whole vehicle with these skins. And I seem to have omitted something very important cause of these so called missing paint chips that the dealers blame on passing transport truck. When you drive long distance highway trips you get a lot of bugs that spatter on the front end, the hood and your windshield. The bodies of these bugs have an acid in them that eats into the paint and as soon as you hit them with a wash wand the pressure removes tiny spots of paint. It has even been found that this acid even pits the 3M Paint Shield body films. As soon as you can after a long trip you should wash the bugs off with a car wash mitt soaked in soapy water. And an adidtional way to protect the paint from these bugs is to spray front end and hood PAM just before your trip. I have been told that this helps the splattered bugs slide right off the body of your car.

I love these little cars and have only once had a major mechanical problem....timing gears tensioner on my recent 2010 Corolla CE. Costed me $570 post warrantee to fix but continues to leak lube thereafter but I was warned about that. This was fixed under a Good Will warrant.

Reading these posts tell me that trying to get something from Toyota will be useless. My story is that I recently sold a 2005 Corolla with almost 300,000 miles on it and loved that car. No paint problems and no mechanical problems. I loved that car so much that when we went to look for a new car before I retired, we went directly to the Toyota dealership. Got a nice deal on an IM. Runs beautifully, no issues.... until we washed it this morning. I am an author and had car magnets made. The only thing I was told about those is that I would have to watch that they didn't blow off. That wasn't the issue. The issue is that when we took them off to wash the car, there is rust popping up under where the magnets were. I am so incensed about that. The car has less than 7000 miles on it. I notice some comments about a class action lawsuit about paint issues. Is that something ongoing? I know I will have to take my Corolla IM to a body man to get an estimate and I may have to contact my son-in-law (a lawyer) about options if Toyota runs me around too much. We knew this would be our last new car, but didn't expect it to bring us problems this quickly.

Seems the silver, sandstone, and magnetic gray paints are the troublemakers. Also, the new plant in Mississippi is a contibutor or main source of the problem. Toyotas are made in the USA now, which only adds to the problems owners of those cars continue to experience. My advice? Trade it in on a non-USA-built Toyota, or a vehicle of another make.
Hate to say this, but was told my new IM is Japanese built, so it's the paint, not where it's applied, it would seem.