2013 Corolla - Question About the Security System

Hi all...i purchased my 2013 Corolla on Dec 24, 2014 (used) and since it didn't came with the owners manual, I don't know what model do I have. The car doesn't have a badge on the trunk and on the Toyota site, they have a comparison table of the "L" "LE" and "S" models but some features marked as "standard" for the model "L" are not available in my car so that's why I'm confused.

Also, about the immobilizer security system, the key that the dealership gave to me is just a plain simple key with no remote. The car DO have a security blinking light. So my question is, can I buy a remote entry key on eBay and get it programmed to open the power locks, or it requires additional equipment?

Also, does the trunk can be opened Remotely or does it require additional equipment (such as a motor or something)?

This is my first Toyota ever so bear with me please. Thanks for any help!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Sounds like you bought a pre-owned car, that should have come with three keys, If you got three keys. one is a valet key the other two identical. Yes-no.

the car has a Immobilizer and at the warning ..
keyless system come with a arm, disarm, panic, trunk release. NO Alarm system.

can be optional..

Sounds like you bought a pre-owned car, that should have come with three keys, If you got three keys. one is a valet key the other two identical. Yes-no.

the car has a Immobilizer and at the warning ..
keyless system come with a arm, disarm, panic, trunk release. NO Alarm system.

can be optional..
Thanks for your input.

I stated in my post that the car was used. (Pre-owned)
I also stated that they just gave me ONE key and that key is a simple black key without any controls. That's why I'm asking here...my question was, can I buy a key from eBay or the Web and get that to a locksmith to copy my actual key and then have it programmed to do those functions you talk about?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Thanks for your input.

I stated in my post that the car was used. (Pre-owned)
I also stated that they just gave me ONE key and that key is a simple black key without any controls. That's why I'm asking here...my question was, can I buy a key from eBay or the Web and get that to a locksmith to copy my actual key and then have it programmed to do those functions you talk about?
And was this a Toyota dealer, you got it from?

If you purchase the key, at least you get to have a spare, and not be with only one key. So the chances of it having a keyless system is a guess, and that I rather not be guessing, that is me.

keyless entry is an option, may come standard on her models. They use a module a relay etc.. to look for it may be best, if you know what to look for?

And was this a Toyota dealer, you got it from?

If you purchase the key, at least you get to have a spare, and not be with only one key. So the chances of it having a keyless system is a guess, and that I rather not be guessing, that is me.

keyless entry is an option, may come standard on her models. They use a module a relay etc.. to look for it may be best, if you know what to look for?
Thank you. If you could guide me where to look, I would be grateful

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I normally go out of the way to look myself, but there are manuals that are out there,,

If the site finds this to be inappropriate they can remove it click me it is not for the corolla but for a camery

get a alarm system, two new keys and be done with the guessing games....

the light blinking red on the dash is the factory engine immobilizer
it is not an alarm with a key FOB/control

There is no factory alarm per say...
and alarms are a dealer installed or aftermarket unit.

Having an alarm would include an additional arming light.

You need purchase an alarm
if you wish to have key FOB/control
over the door locks/trunk etc.

Mine came with a dealership installed Pursuit alarm.
But there are many other alarms/options to choose from.

Last edited:
the light blinking red on the dash is the factory engine immobilizer
it is not an alarm with a key FOB/control

There is no factory alarm per say...
and alarms are a dealer installed or aftermarket unit.

Having an alarm would include an additional arming light.

You need purchase an alarm
if you wish to have key FOB/control
over the door locks/trunk etc.

Mine came with a dealership installed Pursuit alarm.
But there are many other alarms/options to choose from.
Many thanks for your input! I got what you said. Now, may I ask, do you know if the trunk of this car can be programmed to open just as it is? Or does it needs an additional motor or mechanism?

for the life of me I can't find out where a member is from ;-(. Anyway I believe in the US the base L did not come with a key fob to control lock functions. Might have been an option though. Here in Canada the base (CE) did not even come with power locks or windows, had to get a package to get those. A check on the VIN# should reveal exactly what options are on the car. As far as the trunk there is a motor and receiver to trigger and pop the trunk. Not sure if Toyota used the same mechanism for for all trims or not. If not then you would have to find the right mechanism and replace yours.

L doesn't come with a fob. You'll have to get an aftermarket system. The immobilizer they are talking about is in reference to PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System), which is the electronic chip in the key that prevents someone from hotwiring the car and driving off with it.