2014-15 Corrolla Complete DIY Parts for Modding/Upgrades List

Black64

So far, I haven't been able to find any good lists of of DIY friendly parts for modding and upgrades for the 2014/15 Corolla. So I decided to make one myself. Feel free to post below and I will add your parts to the list if you see any I missed.

Lighting

Look on eBay for 6 and 8 piece kits for both white and blue LEDs for under 10 bucks.

How to video here for dome lights

high beam is a normal halogen bulb - part# 9005
license plate - part# 168
front turn signal - part# 7443
rear turn signal - part# 7440
reverse light - part# 921 or 168
brake light - part# 7443
dome - part# DE3175
map light - part# 168
trunk light - part# 168
Front fog lights - part# H11 or H8
Tron lights for Dash - StreetGlow EL5RD (amazon)

Underglow for footwells
LEDGlow (I used the blue only kit LU-SC01, but they make multi-color kits)
Don't forget to pickup a 12volt expandable circuit! (eBay)

How to install LED glow

Audio

2x 6.5" speakers for the front
2x 6x9" speakers for the rear

Adapters are here, if you choose to use them
http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK054 - Rear
http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK036 - Front

Headunit - Pioneer 5100 NEX

How to install door speakers here

And how to remove the rear deck to get to the rear speakers here

Aftermarket Maintenance parts

Air intake - K&N part# 69-8757TTK
Engine Air Filter - K&N part# - 33-2360
Cabin Air Filter - K&N part# - VF2000
Cabin Air filter OEM - part# CF35667

Spark Plugs - NGK part# - Laser Iridium (they make a few different models that all work fine)

How to replace the plugs (note, you will need a special 9/16 deep wall socket)

Oil - 0W20

Brakes

Hawk street pads - part# HB629F.565 or HB627F.690 or Ceramic HB627Z.690
Hawk front rotors - part# HR4979
Hawk rear rotors - part# HR5015

Large Performance mod list here

What kind of performance change can I expect? Can you recommend a performance chip? With the new sparkpluggs, a chip, and k&n filter, can I expect between 160-180 HorseP? Would adding a better exhaust to this equation make a difference?

What kind of performance change can I expect? Can you recommend a performance chip? With the new sparkpluggs, a chip, and k&n filter, can I expect between 160-180 HorseP? Would adding a better exhaust to this equation make a difference?
Highly unlikely. You will need forced induction if you want to see anything reasonable with horsepower. It's got a tiny 1.8L engine so things like a tune, exhaust, intake won't do a lot for it, but you'll probably get in the range of 15-25 whp alone with the tune and exhaust combo.

Highly unlikely. You will need forced induction if you want to see anything reasonable with horsepower. It's got a tiny 1.8L engine so things like a tune, exhaust, intake won't do a lot for it, but you'll probably get in the range of 15-25 whp alone with the tune and exhaust combo.
What exhaust? A 30-50 HP boost would be perfect. With the exhaust, tune, and intake I would have just enough to outrun the big truck compensators that I am up against on the road. Since I am already doing it as is.

What exhaust? A 30-50 HP boost would be perfect. With the exhaust, tune, and intake I would have just enough to outrun the big truck compensators that I am up against on the road. Since I am already doing it as is.
Well, if you can find a full exhaust including the header for the car, you can tune the car really well. The less restrictive the exhaust and intake, the more flow of air/fuel/exhaust can happen without detonation. Think of it as all the parts you put on work in conjunction with the tune. Simply bolting on things doesn't always add HP.

Well, if you can find a full exhaust including the header for the car, you can tune the car really well. The less restrictive the exhaust and intake, the more flow of air/fuel/exhaust can happen without detonation. Think of it as all the parts you put on work in conjunction with the tune. Simply bolting on things doesn't always add HP.
Not even sure the corolla is worth adding hp anyway, it's an efficient way to get from A to B

Not even sure the corolla is worth adding hp anyway, it's an efficient way to get from A to B
It's not. I just traded in an FR-S for this car so I'm done modding for a while. I'm keeping mine bone stock because it is in fact an eco point A to point B car. The most I am doing to the car is this:

Yellow fog lights
Fumoto valve with nipple for painless oil changes.
Xpel Ultimate wrap on the front bumper, full hood, both fenders, and side mirrors.
Formula One Pinnacle ceramic window tint on all windows, darkest legal limit.
Rear bumper protector
Use great oil, Amsoil, Eneos Sustina, Pennzoil, etc, after the free Toyotacare is up. (Toyota uses outstanding oil btw)
Bridgestone Ecopia tires when my stock Michelins are gone. (Michelins are the best tires to get with the car to start with)

That's pretty much it. Don't need a K&N filter. Don't need intake or exhaust. Fuelly recorded me at 43 mpg coming back from Columbus, GA to Austin, TX on a tank. I think the car is doing extremely well the way it is.

Why did you sell the FRS?
I was just done with it. Put a lot of money into modifications and enjoyed it for about 3 years. A lot of the owners were much younger kids than me (I'm 31) and I wanted to start planning for life ahead. I want the Corolla to be the daily driver and I want to get a new Camaro on the side as my weekend warrior to play with. Also, the space of the Corolla was welcome over me getting in and out of the FR-S at 6'6". Every right turn, my knuckles would graze my knee. I fit, but it was close.

By far one of the best handling and fun cars I have ever driven. The crickets in the fuel pump never went away which was annoying. These same crickets exist in the Acura RDX SUV with direct injection too. I believe it has the same fuel pump as the FR-S and BRZ. The front bumper never sat flush no matter how many times you would adjust it. Those were just some of the quirks I dealt with but even after all the mods I did and installed myself, I never had a major mechanical problem. Just stupid ones like shearing wheel studs on the wheels which taught me how to replace those since I removed my wheels too often apparently.

New easy 30min DIY project! Rear window sunshade, if you live in a hotter area this is an easy, cheap and effective way to keep your car cooler.

Materials
Cheap sunshade (ebay) or Refectix (lowes or Home Depot)
Adhesive or tape
Large sheet of cardboard (bigger than back window)
Optional - 2x Foam sheets 4"x"4x12"

Directions
1. Take the cardboard and measure and cut to back window, make sure to cut out the brake light and a small hole to see out of.
2. Adhere the sunshade material to the cutout cardboard and cut off extra
3. place in back window
4. optional - to get the sunshade to press against glass, use foam strips to hold it up using the back seat headrests.

If you are already using a front sunshade, this should add another 20-30% of "sunblock" to your car, making it that much cooler and resistant to heating up.
[/url] upload images[/IMG]
[/url] upload images[/IMG]

The K&N in these small motors(and most for that matter) is simply good marketing. The stock pleated air filter you can pick up for 8 bucks at any parts warehouse is fine, and allows more than enough airflow even at WOT. The K&N often creates a lot more issues than it could ever fix by over-oiling, creating a film on sensors and such, as clogging far quicker than a standard filter over time.You want a sticker, buy a sticker, but save the $ on the filter itself.

I want to put effort into improving my car, so that its DIFFERENT than your corolla. If the KN filter ADDS power and efficiency, then I want to buy it. But I want before and after opinions of people who actually are modding their car. I wish I could find out how to re flash.

Only updates so far have been my badly leaking sunroof, repaired by Toyota, bad seal.

Also picked up a can of touch up paint, will be working on fixing a few scuffs this sunday

I have noticed that there are few DIY videos on the actual 2015 Corolla, and I am looking for a how to guide on replacing my stock dome, map and license plate lights. I am wanting to know is it the same process as the Camry?

I want to put effort into improving my car, so that its DIFFERENT than your corolla. If the KN filter ADDS power and efficiency, then I want to buy it. But I want before and after opinions of people who actually are modding their car. I wish I could find out how to re flash.
easiest response to this is right from K&N...http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#1

The filter itself will give you no power, or mpg increases. A poorly maintained one, will however DEcrease both.
I have had them in several vehicle, from an econobox, to a rock crawler, to a fairly heavily modified tow rig. None of them kept the filter any longer than it took me to get the replacement. As stated before, it's marketing. Stickers add 5HP too, and they're easier to install.

easiest response to this is right from K&N...http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#1

The filter itself will give you no power, or mpg increases. A poorly maintained one, will however DEcrease both.
I have had them in several vehicle, from an econobox, to a rock crawler, to a fairly heavily modified tow rig. None of them kept the filter any longer than it took me to get the replacement. As stated before, it's marketing. Stickers add 5HP too, and they're easier to install.

sounds a little biased...out of the box the difference in the acceleration of the corolla was noticeably different than that cotton denso filter it has... I drove my car on a 20 roll than smashed off from that on the same street with the factory denso filter and the k&n filter and felt an immediate difference, granted now i hardly feel the difference of the k&n but that is just because I'm used to it....

sounds a little biased...out of the box the difference in the acceleration of the corolla was noticeably different than that cotton denso filter it has... I drove my car on a 20 roll than smashed off from that on the same street with the factory denso filter and the k&n filter and felt an immediate difference, granted now i hardly feel the difference of the k&n but that is just because I'm used to it....

in no way is it ground breaking performance but it does do something.....and nobody can prove or disprove HP gains Mpg yada yada with ought dyno charts from a 2014 corolla s with nothing but a drop in filter...and i have yet to see that.

I'm biased because I quoted K&Ns own FAQs where they state that? or that I have no use for an overpriced drop in filter of any type? I am not, nor have I ever been a K&N fanboy, but each to their own, especially those with deeper pockets than myself, which is most.