2014 Corolla - Factory Alarm

Hello,

I just bought a 2014 corolla LE, the dealer want to sell me $850 for factory alarm, I opt out not to paid $850 for alarm. So the salesman bring some kind of chip and installed, that it he said "your alarm had been disable", I saw on his paper and windows sticker mention the alarm model was "KARR".

Do any one know how to enable the alarm?

Thanks,

W57thNY

While I'm not a Corolla owner, I think this info may still help. KARR is an aftermarket alarm company. If it was shown on your window sticker, it must have been on one of those supplemental window stickers (which may look official). The KARR system didn't come from the factory. If your car has keyless entry remotes, you can probably find an upgrade, or find the same chip for less, elsewhere.

OK, here is an update, we need to get LED chip (Blue, Green or Red color depend on your alarm model) for activate. Yesterday, I went back to dealer, and got activated for $250 (not $850 from the finance guy).

Next time, don't buy the alarm through finance guy, decline it or you can get better deals ($250 or $300 is the most) still expensive compare with auto shop, if you still want the Factory alarm.

Went back to the service guy and get activate it (I think you can do it at any Toyota dealer). You can easy deal the price with the service guy.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
If the service guy and the finance guy work at the same Toyota dealership, the price for anything, (including the alarm), should be exactly the same. This sure sounds to me like this finance guy was trying to rip you off for the difference between $250 and $800, and pocket the $550 difference. It might be a very good idea to go into that dealership and ask to speak to the general manager about this. They will want to know about a dishonest employee stealing from their customers!

radji

Wrench Monkey
Wondering if this issue ever found a resolution?

I just got a 2014 Corolla as well.

It came with a factory alarm. I opted out of the factory alarm with hopes I can find whatever chip/controller online for far cheaper than what the dealer charged. I know the car came with the alarm, but the dealer deactivated it right before I took the vehicle.

Any thoughts?

There is no such thing as a "factory alarm" in a Corolla.

This seems like a common practice for US dealers (would be illegal in Canada) to force an overpriced aftermarket part on the customer.

It probably cost them close to nothing, as they pay to have this Karr thing installed on each car from their inventory, and they certainly get their money back + profit even if only a few customer take it.

It is close to a scam : I don't think it is the finance guy being dishonest, I think it's the dealer being dishonest.

I wouldn't even do buisiness with such a dealer in the first place.
Plus that ugly module in my brand new car ?

Last edited:

radji

Wrench Monkey
I agree. It would have added $10 to my monthly payment...$600 for an alarm?!?!?!

My question is it possible to buy the LED chip/alarm module (whatever it needs) from an aftermarket place and install it myself? Or does it require a dealer to install and program due to some lockout in place on the vehicle's ECM?

radji

Wrench Monkey
No ones' got any info on the aftermarket Karr alarm installed by the dealer?

I don't want to go back to them to have it activated knowing its gonna cost $600.

radji

Wrench Monkey
What do I search for on eBay?

On second look, it looks like they cut the LED/chip out of the car. Just left the ribbon cable it was attached to dangling.

Just go dealer

Just go back to dealer and go to service guy, you can deal with them with your price. They will do it for any prices, because alarm already install, the service will get commission, so he will do with the prices he want.

That what happen to me. Very easy.

SSDD

radji

Wrench Monkey
Will do. I have to go back tomorrow to get the spare key cut and the new FOBs. I've been haggling with the sales rep on price for reactivating the alarm. He says the finance guys set the price of the alarm installation...

Very shifty. In any event, I told him $300 is the most I can afford to pay for the alarm reactivation. I guess I will see if they will go for that.

radji

Wrench Monkey
I ended up having to horsetrade with the Finance guy. But I got them down to $300. More than I would have paid for an aftermarket setup, but I'm fine with that. I don't trust aftermarket electrical work.

I ended up having to horsetrade with the Finance guy. But I got them down to $300. More than I would have paid for an aftermarket setup, but I'm fine with that. I don't trust aftermarket electrical work.
It is sill an aftermarket system, albeit installed by the dealer.

radji

Wrench Monkey
Very true. The system is manufactured by Rockledge. But it was installed by the dealer. So I've got some piece of mind that the electrical wasn't torn apart and haphazardly spliced back together.

Did I mention I don't trust aftermarket electrical work?

radji

Wrench Monkey
Actually, the wiring looks very professionally done. All done with harnesses and molex connectors. No wire nuts or butt plugs. The shock sensor is a bit odd as it's tied to the steering column using cable ties...o_O