2014 Corolla le

Hi there, i have a 2014 toyota corolla le with 28,000 miles, i seem to be only averaging 26.5 mpg in a mix of 70/30 city and highway driving, it is winter and i live in Duluth mn, and it only idles to warm up 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes in the evening, and i have been driving very conservatively, it has all season tires on it, the eco gauge is always on my dash.
I am just curios if other people are having this issue? And what mileage are you getting?

Thanks!

That's a lot of unnecessary idling in very cold temps. No more than a minute should be needed even in the coldest temperatures. That's definitely playing a big part in hurting your mileage. That and cold temperatures and mostly city driving, your gas mileage sounds about right. Cut your idle time and I bet you'd get up close to 30. Let it idle for 30 seconds to a minute if it's cold, then drive off gently until the engine is warmed up.

ToyBoy

Cold and winter gas formula has a noticeable affect on my 14 Corolla also. Five minutes of idle though is about 4 minutes too long .

In the winter time a usually wait until the auto climate starts to blow warm air then I'm ready to go. But 30s is about the time I takes for the oil to lube the engine block and the valves.

DTG

26.5 mpg, with 70% city driving, in a MN winter, is normal.

And I agree with others that 30 seconds of warm-up is fine, unless you're like me and sometimes start up the car, go back inside, and wait for the cabin to get warm and the window frost to melt :).

We don't really get too much cold here in GA than in MN but 30sec idling is just enough. Update us when you noticed an improvement.