2014 Corolla - License Plate Screws

When I bought my corolla, the dealership put the rear plate on with plastic screws, which I thought was odd, but okay. Well fast forward to a month later (now) and I noticed one of the heads snapped off and now my plate is just held on with one screw. I went to a dealer to get a replacement and he gave me metal screws, which I found out don't fit after I got home!! :cursing:
Has anyone else encountered this problem? Do you have plastic or metal screws? Is there anywhere to go now to get a replacement in Canada? (dealership is closed on Sundays)

My dealership put in metal screws, the same as every other car I bought. Do you have auto parts stores in Canada? We have many places nearby that would sell what you need. AutoZone, Advanced Auto, and Napa are the first to come to mind.

Yeah, there's a PartSource down the street from where I work. I'm going to stop by today after I'm finished. I also went out to check Canadian Tire yesterday but they were closed as well, but I'm not sure they would have it.

Snuck out of work early and ran to PartSource. They had what I needed. They sell a 4 pack of metal of screws and locknuts for $3. They fit fine. Not using plastic screws again.

Snuck out of work early and ran to PartSource. They had what I needed. They sell a 4 pack of metal of screws and locknuts for $3. They fit fine. Not using plastic screws again.
Not too sure what your dealership was thinking when using them. I would keep an eye on them when getting any future repairs or maintenance.

Plastic screws used to hold on the license plates are a better idea than metal screws. Metal license plate screws tend to rust into place, making removing them a major project. Plastic doesn't rust of course and so this common problem is avoided. Plus, a license plate weighs so little it doesn't need heavy duty metal screws to hold it on. This is why plastic screws are many times used to secure license plates.

Plastic screws used to hold on the license plates are a better idea than metal screws. Metal license plate screws tend to rust into place, making removing them a major project. Plastic doesn't rust of course and so this common problem is avoided. Plus, a license plate weighs so little it doesn't need heavy duty metal screws to hold it on. This is why plastic screws are many times used to secure license plates.
Where do you live that this is an issue. I live in Indiana with some rough winters and salt on the roads. Sometimes I'll go 2-3 months without washing my car and never had an issue with rusty license plate screws. Maybe if the car has been sitting in a field for years I could imagine the screws being rusty. Have you really seen one rusted into place?

I feel like you enjoy debating people.

Edit: Maybe coastal areas near the ocean have salty air and promote rust? This is the only thing I can come up with.

Last edited:
In a very snowy region. I've seen many rusted on license plate screws in my 30 year automotive industry career. Again, this is why some license plates use plastic screws. Others will use metal screws, but where the screw actually threads in, that will be plastic and again for the same reason, to avoid rust.

my metal screws are not rusting as they are stainless but the screw hole is starting to rust and it is only the second winter. I'm too lazy now but I will be looking at either replacing with plastic ones or treat the insignificant surface rust (insignificant for now anyway) and use a mild thread lock or silicone to prevent further damage.

my metal screws are not rusting as they are stainless but the screw hole is starting to rust and it is only the second winter. I'm too lazy now but I will be looking at either replacing with plastic ones or treat the insignificant surface rust (insignificant for now anyway) and use a mild thread lock or silicone to prevent further damage.
I would get a 6x1.0 tap which is for the license plate holes. Take out your screws, tap the holes, and replace with some kinda of silicone paste and plastic screws. That's what I use on every used honda and Toyota I work on. Usually I have to drill out the old plastic screws which is cake compared to drilling out metal screws.

SCQTT

Are you guys certain they are M6 and not 1/4"? The dealer put my rear tag on my car with some giant, course, thread looking sheet metal screws that they only turned in a 1/2 of turn or so. I just happened to have my old tags on my previous 13 Corolla with an M6 bolts & also this is the size in my Miata. I know this for sure because I happen to have a supply of titanium bolts that size and had them in both cars because of the rust situation here. I know, I know ti bolts are silly overkill in a commuter car, but they were laying in my tool box & they do not rust, so I used them.

Fast forward, I pull out what looks like huge sheet metal or wood screws from my new car, the threads look all buggered up, and the M6 bolts will not fit....at all. I have a 1/4 tap here and can certainly get a M6 tap. I do not really want to "cut" new threads, I just want to clean them up. Is there any chance these are 1/4 instead of M6?

SCQTT

Attention dealers: The screw on the left is NOT how to attach a customers license plate. The correct 6M with 1mm pitch is pictured on the right.
I should have been a little worried when I saw my salesperson running around with my plates and a screw gun. In his defense this is something the prep person that washed and detailed the car should have done this, not the suit wearing, deal maker. My guess is this is the policy of the dealership. It would be best to train them the right way to do it or let someone from the service department/ prep staff to do it.

All the dealers I know around me including mine, we all put license plate frames on when we do the pre delivery inspection. So all the sales person has to do is loosen the plastic screws and put the plate on.