2014 Corolla radion won't play all the songs from flash drive

I just purchased 2014 Toyota Corolla LE and discovered that the radio plays only 255 songs from the USB flash drive which has over 2,500 songs in it. It starts with a song title starts with B(I will name it #1 although it's not the first song in the flash drive) then plays 255 songs then goes back to song #1 that started. No other songs before that or beyond song #255. Is there a fix for it? Do I have to get several more flash drives and load different 255 songs in each of them? I have a very long drive coming up and hate to end up listening to same songs.

jolly

Don't worry ! The unit can manage 9,999 songs on a single drive. I personally have a 32GB drive with close to 4,000 songs, no problem !

The thing is your songs are probably not organized in folders. There is a limitation of 255 songs by folder.
If they are "in bulk" on the key without being organized in folders, then the unit consider it as one single folder with too many songs.

I for one have one folder per album within one folder per artist. All tagged properly (commercial tags and album art aren't always that precise).
That way, it is also a charm to navigate among the songs via the touchscreen.

So basically you need folders on your drive, not more drives.

On a side note, on "start" the unit will finish the last song that was playing then go back to #1 (or start directly with it). This "#1" is actually to the first song ever recorded on the drive.
I usually get the current song back to beginning when I stop the car, so it plays again upon starting, giving the unit the minute or two it needs to make inventory of the key.
That way, it goes on from where it was in the album/folder instead of going back to #1

Last edited:
Ok, thank you. I think I know what you are talking about. You want me to set up folders within the flash drive and name it like
folder #1, #2 and so on instead of just having all those songs as is. Am I right? Is there any particular manner I should name
those folders?

jolly

You are right. Name them and organize them as you wish. Just avoid long names and no more than 255 files by folder.
With or without touch screen the principle remain the same and you'll have to choose which folder to play.
But then, by the way, your model isn't an "LE" but a "L".

Well not sure how to post a new thread here but will put the question here as it is similar to the one posted. My issue with my 2016 corolla is the fact it tries to reorganize my folders. I had a friend set my music up in folders as she did with her tacoma which is a basic system that only reads the music in side folders and doesnt sort. I did get the tabs to sort by artist, album, gener, composer which was at least better than i did have it before she organized it into folders. But the system still goes in the folders resorts all my music to having multliple files with often one or two songs in them. LIke when an artist sings some songs alone and some with other artists that would result in different files more or less. How do i organize my folders so it reads what is in the folders (albums) not resort them . I have one folder that is assorted music. My friends tacoma reads it find all the music in it but mine does not it tries to disect it by artist making new files do not even get assorted music folder as an option under album sorting. and it only plays one resorted album at a time system resortted that is not continually play all folders in susession i have to rechoose as it wont go to the next folder it wants me to select from the tab sorting options which play as is or by folder is not an option. would appreciate any suggestions at how to make it play by folder or album as it is called without resorting it into albums the system makes it seems or however it does it.

I am replying to my own posting as i found one solution. To keep the audio system from sorting automatically i got rid of the info inside each song by clicking on each song in a folder go to Properties --> Details tab--> at the bottom of the window click on the Remove Properties and personal information (it is in blue least on my screen) ---> then another window will come up choose Remove the following properties from this file ---> down about half way below the info on the file it says select all. I did that including the title and say ok it will delete all the information artist and all inside the file have to do this to each song in a folder and it wll then put all the songs n that folder in a list rather than sort it out into a bunch of files. now the mystery continues though at how to make the corolla audio system recognize the folder these songs are in as a album with the name i give it. it does an auto remake of the folder calling it unknown.

Ok i found out through experimentation that the system is hung up on artist not necessarily reading the name of the folder as the folders with artists names on it shows up on the listings where as a folder named assorted music does not though the songs do appear the folder is named unknown so not sure how to change it so the system reads the exact name of the folder and not associate it with an artist so all but that case solved now to trick it into reading my assorted music folder and figure out an artist name to put on it
oh and by the way when you remove the properties of a song do not remove the title select all yes but uncheck title as you might want to sort using the songs tab on the corolla audio system.

question now why if i formated twice my flash drive and put a few music folders on it under a main folder Music does the corolla audio system play what was playing before i formated the flash drive wondering if i should get it into the shop to get it replace while the warranty is still good.

To keep the audio system from sorting automatically i got rid of the info inside each song by clicking on each song in a folder go to Properties --> Details tab--> at the bottom of the window click on the Remove Properties
the system is hung up on artist not necessarily reading the name of the folder as the folders with artists names on it shows up on the listings where as a folder named assorted music does not though the songs do appear the folder is named unknown so not sure how to change it so the system reads the exact name of the folder and not associate it with an artist
does the corolla audio system play what was playing before i formated the flash drive wondering if i should get it into the shop to get it replace while the warranty is still good.
Basic :
-The system can work with a max of 3,000 folders and no more than 255 files per folder (with a max total of 9,999) in MP3-WMA-AAC format.
-The size of the flash drive doesn't matter but avoiding other types of files than songs (and art album) is recommended.
-It always make a new inventory of the flash drive upon starting. Depending on the length of current song playing, the system will or will not have time to catch up.

How the system sort files
The system can't guess what's in a file nor does it rely on file name to sort it . It relies on the tag embedded into each file to find info : Album title - Artist name - Song title (and a few others not so useful).
When you buy music, the tag may or may not be correct. For instance, "SingerA" is not the same for the system as "Signer A" or "Singer_A" or "_Singer A".
What you did was manually modify the tag but there are many free programs that allow to by lots. Like select all the files from an album, give a name to the album, and all those files will now have this tag for the system to work with it.
Personally, I have 1 folder per artist, then 1 folder per album within it.

The artist & sing title info you see on the display comes from the metadata embedded in the music file. This info can be edited a number of ways, but is typically done by the music player you use on your computer. The radio cannot reorder anything, it can only read whats there. You do have hopes to view them be artist, album, genre, etc. Sounds more like you need to learn how to use the radio. You can refer to your owner's manual for that.

As for the folder issue, this is correct. You cannot have more than 255 items in the root of the drive. Creating some sort of folder structure is what you need to do. As previously suggested, a folder for an artist, & then sub-folders for the albums is a good way to go. This is how my entire music collection on my computer is organized for logical & linear purposes.

On another note, I found out on my own that the radio has limitations on the supported CODEC's. Even though you may have a supported file type, the radio may not play the file if it was encoded with an unsupported CODEC. I had to cover my music files to another format (file type) in order for my radio to play them.