2014 Corolla Snorkel Removal Help

Hey guys i just got a K&N drop in intake filter and i want to remove the snorkel from the airbox but i don't know how. Can anyone explain how i can do this? Maybe without taking off my bumper? i don't care about getting hot air i just want to see how it sounds and test it.

JesseG

Hi FadeKing, so if you want to take the entire snorkel off I would recommend taking out the battery at minimum. It's a tight squeeze but you won't need to remove the bumper. There is only one 10mm bolt connecting it to the engine bay, you can see it to the right of where the battery sits. Be careful of the wiring loom you don't want to damage that. I removed mine, took off the part that loops back on itself, and put it back in. This creates more of a cold air intake. And if you remove the charcoal filter from the airbox you will get even better flow. Hope that helps!

Hi FadeKing, so if you want to take the entire snorkel off I would recommend taking out the battery at minimum. It's a tight squeeze but you won't need to remove the bumper. There is only one 10mm bolt connecting it to the engine bay, you can see it to the right of where the battery sits. Be careful of the wiring loom you don't want to damage that. I removed mine, took off the part that loops back on itself, and put it back in. This creates more of a cold air intake. And if you remove the charcoal filter from the airbox you will get even better flow. Hope that helps!
Thanks for your help and may i ask what does the charcoal filter look like? And is it in the airbox or before the snorkel?

JesseG

Sure no problem! So you will see the charcoal filter in the top half of the airbox when you separate it. It's held in with some plastic rivets. It's pretty easy to remove just use some needle nose pliers. You will see how much air it is blocking once it's out of there!

The snorkel is a bitch to get out, just a warning. LOL Take your time and it will wiggle out of there eventually.

Sure no problem! So you will see the charcoal filter in the top half of the airbox when you separate it. It's held in with some plastic rivets. It's pretty easy to remove just use some needle nose pliers. You will see how much air it is blocking once it's out of there!

The snorkel is a bitch to get out, just a warning. LOL Take your time and it will wiggle out of there eventually.
Alright thank you again man! if I have any problems i'll let you know fam!

Good luck! It's worth it!
Ok so I disconnected the snorkel form the airbox but left in there because I'm lazy. But wow man it is Sooooo Fricking loud man I love it! Thanks for your help now I'm going to make a custom ram air tube from the front of the car to the box. The best feeling is going through tunnels in first gear omg its awesome!

JesseG

Ok so I disconnected the snorkel form the airbox but left in there because I'm lazy. But wow man it is Sooooo Fricking loud man I love it! Thanks for your help now I'm going to make a custom ram air tube from the front of the car to the box. The best feeling is going through tunnels in first gear omg its awesome!
Nice!!! A custom cold air intake will be nice, and it will still sound really good. A short ram intake sounds really nice also, a have a Takeda short ram from my 2013 Corolla. The holes for the heat shield don't line up correctly on my 2016 though.

Damn that sounds sick! I need to remove my snorkel for sure. I'm just a little bit concerned about removing that charcoal filter. I have a K&N drop in filter in there already and it seems to help. Would removing the charcoal filter hurt anything? Would doing all of this affect the MAF sensor? @FadeKing91 @JesseG

Damn that sounds sick! I need to remove my snorkel for sure. I'm just a little bit concerned about removing that charcoal filter. I have a K&N drop in filter in there already and it seems to help. Would removing the charcoal filter hurt anything? Would doing all of this affect the MAF sensor? @FadeKing91 @JesseG
I'm not removing the charcoal filter because warrenty but no i think MAF should be fine, ill upload some videos with the snorkel disconnected soon.

AFAIK the charcoal filter is emissions related only. I don't think it would be a big concern about voiding the warranty. It's a non-serviceable filter. But I understand wanting to be safe as far as the warranty is concerned.

Okay so yesterday I removed the second charcoal filter and cut off the intake snorkel so that it still takes air from the fog light area but it doesn't loop around anymore. I honestly can't tell if there's any difference. LOL oh well it was fun to do!

Okay so yesterday I removed the second charcoal filter and cut off the intake snorkel so that it still takes air from the fog light area but it doesn't loop around anymore. I honestly can't tell if there's any difference. LOL oh well it was fun to do!
lmao like the plastic or the black cardboard material?

That's what I did also, removed that scoop and curved piece. And removed the charcoal filter. I also installed a K&N panel filter. It has a nice growl when you really get on the throttle, otherwise it sounds just slightly louder than stock. A short ram intake will make the best sound, but I don't like where they draw air from.

That's what I did also, removed that scoop and curved piece. And removed the charcoal filter. I also installed a K&N panel filter. It has a nice growl when you really get on the throttle, otherwise it sounds just slightly louder than stock. A short ram intake will make the best sound, but I don't like where they draw air from.
Yeah I have a K&N filter too and the Borla exhaust system. It kinda did feel a little quicker today. I dunno maybe its just a placebo. I want it to be faster! LOL

Yeah I have a K&N filter too and the Borla exhaust system. It kinda did feel a little quicker today. I dunno maybe its just a placebo. I want it to be faster! LOL
Forced induction is the only way to make significant power, and at that point a GTI, Mazdaspeed 3, or WRX would be better options. Enjoy your Corolla you have a great setup already. And if you haven't done anything to the suspension that will help a lot to get coilovers, lowering springs, and sway bars. Better tires also. The stock Firestones are terrible. I can't wait till they wear out. LOL

Forced induction is the only way to make significant power, and at that point a GTI, Mazdaspeed 3, or WRX would be better options. Enjoy your Corolla you have a great setup already. And if you haven't done anything to the suspension that will help a lot to get coilovers, lowering springs, and sway bars. Better tires also. The stock Firestones are terrible. I can't wait till they wear out. LOL
Yeah the sway bars and springs or coilovers are next. I replaced my tires with BFGoodrich GeForce Comp 2 All Seasons. They're amazing! I strongly recommend them to anyone! https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...autoYear=2014&autoModel=Corolla&autoModClar=S

JesseG

Yeah the sway bars and springs or coilovers are next. I replaced my tires with BFGoodrich GeForce Comp 2 All Seasons. They're amazing! I strongly recommend them to anyone! https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+COMP-2+A/S&partnum=145WR7GFC2ASXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2014&autoModel=Corolla&autoModClar=S
Thanks for the suggestion I will keep those on my radar. I've always been a big fan of BFG tires. I'm also considering Yokohomas to get a Japanese tire.

Thanks for the suggestion I will keep those on my radar. I've always been a big fan of BFG tires. I'm also considering Yokohomas to get a Japanese tire.
They are smooth, work very well on wet roads and even a little bit of snow, on dirt, they look fantastic, and they aren't very expensive.