2014 Corolla With 13,500 Miles Needs Cylinder Head Replaced

What would you do?

• Get rid of the car stat.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Drive to just under 50,000 when the warranty expires and then sell it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take a chill pill and believe that my Toyota is going to live a long happy Corolla life.

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
On a lease car? Oh hell no...
Yup! The car uses synthetic engine oil, why every 5K? On top of that, they said "oh there is a service that must be done at $15K but the insurance won't cover it". I have looked everywhere online to find the god damn service schedule and NO ONE has it. I even checked on the forums. Apparently, you are supposed to trust the built in service schedule the civic has but no one knows when the services should be performed. I see Honda is starting to act like a real bunch of cunts with the car servicing.

Update from a couple of weeks ago on the cylinder head replacement: Within a week there was oil on my garage floor. Took it back to Service. They replaced a oil gasket, I think, and took it for a drive. During the drive the check engine and trac off lights came on again. They contacted Toyota Corp. It took 4 days to decide to replace Valvematic. (Just a reminder that approx 3 weeks ago the cylinder head & four valves around the fourth cylinder, hope I got that right, were replaced.) I questioned them on what parts the Valvematic constituted. There is a heck of a list of parts on the service record for this fix and the bill was way over $3000. No charge to me though. But that's 3 times to the shop for "fourth cylinder misfire." I was shown a part that had pronounced uneven wear and was "causing" the problem. However it is a mystery as to what caused the uneven wear and Service was told to send the whole contraption to Toyota to be studied.

Today Corporate offered me a 125,000 mile/8 years extended comprehensive warranty. I took it. There also was the option to Arbitration for a replacement car, but I'm sick of it all and just want it to end. He did say that if the same issue cropped up again that I would still have the ability to Arbitrate for a replacement. Oh, and of course, the other option, Lemon Law. I'm satisfied with the extended warranty and hope I made the right decision. I hope the car is not dangerous, but I trust ? that Toyota would not have returned it to me if it weren't. I went to a different service center this time.
Curious if you tried Faulkner this time for service?

ThisOTE="DjAnnexAlpha, post: 22889, member: 3658"]Yup! The car uses synthetic engine oil, why every 5K? On top of that, they said "oh there is a service that must be done at $15K but the insurance won't cover it". I have looked everywhere online to find the god damn service schedule and NO ONE has it. I even checked on the forums. Apparently, you are supposed to trust the built in service schedule the civic has but no one knows when the services should be performed. I see Honda is starting to act like a real bunch of cunts with the car servicing.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly lije Toyota with the Corolla maintenance schedule. Extremely disappointing on both counts

ThisOTE="DjAnnexAlpha, post: 22889, member: 3658"]Yup! The car uses synthetic engine oil, why every 5K? On top of that, they said "oh there is a service that must be done at $15K but the insurance won't cover it". I have looked everywhere online to find the god damn service schedule and NO ONE has it. I even checked on the forums. Apparently, you are supposed to trust the built in service schedule the civic has but no one knows when the services should be performed. I see Honda is starting to act like a real bunch of cunts with the car servicing.
This is exactly lije Toyota with the Corolla maintenance schedule. Extremely disappointing on both counts[/QUOTE]

What do you mean Corolla as well? I have a clear cut and described service schedule for my Corolla...

Cindy I would suggest finding another dealer to work on the car seeing as they have been doing a poor job at that dealership. My family has owned Toyota's since '93 specifically the corolla and they are solid cars that will last you a lifetime if you want them too. I am sorry that you are going through all this trouble.

Cindy

Curious if you tried Faulkner this time for service?
Faulkner said they would not work on it due to the proximity in time to the cylinder head replacement at Lancaster (the previous week). So I went to York Toyota for the succeeding "Valvematic" replacement, in their words. I have a list of parts.

One thing I can say for York, at least they don't put on the dog like Lancaster does. Lancaster is, like I said at another time, like the Stepford Wives. You never see a mechanic. You could operate on the floor. It is shiny squeaky clean with large screen TVs and child play center, massive couches and tables, so you can wait hours for your oil change.

Too much spent on advertising & plant appearance and not enough on mechanics possibly. They advertise heavily on television. They seem to have a good reputation overall. I may have just had very poor luck there with the bad oil change and the cylinder head replacement that turned out to not fix the issue with the 4th cylinder misfire.

York conferred with the Techs at Toyota and was told Valvematic, uneven wear, I think, 4th cylinder and starting uneven wear on the 3rd cylinder. Some little bearing ? that spins near the cylinder or the valve maybe. I did not memorize the terms. The wear was shown to me when the valve cover was removed. It was visible to the naked eye (with bad vision) and could not have happened in one week, so I wonder how Lancaster missed it.

Cindy

Cindy I would suggest finding another dealer to work on the car seeing as they have been doing a poor job at that dealership. My family has owned Toyota's since '93 specifically the corolla and they are solid cars that will last you a lifetime if you want them too. I am sorry that you are going through all this trouble.
Done. I went to another dealership when I had continuing trouble after receiving the car back after the cylinder head replacement. The new dealership said the Valvematic (thier words) needed replaced, but Valvematic is a system, I think, not a single thing. There is a long list of parts I have. If I get 4th cylinder misfire code again I will arbitrate for replacement vehicle. That would be the fourth 4th cylinder misfire code. They have given me a free extended warranty, 125,000 miles or 8 years, which I appreciate (after I asked for it twice). That takes me to 2021, and I could probably still get a pretty penny for it if there is no more trouble. It will have pretty low miles.

Understand your loyalty. I def had bad luck with this one. Am forced to hang onto it for a while due to the money I would lose if I sold or traded right now. I've only looked at KBB. But after I've had a chance to drive my car for a little while and think about it I may see what a dealer would give me for it. I pimped my Corolla with alloy wheels, fog lights, beveled strips on the side, the door sill plates that say Corolla. And I bought the $500 interior/exterior protectant. My LE Eco Plus 4 Dr Sdn was 22,300, all said and done with taxes, delivery, et al. I would lose at least 7K today, according to KBB.

Cindy

whoops. p.s. broken record, but again, I bought this 2014 Toyota in September of 13. I can't help but think that had something to do with it. My bad.

Done. I went to another dealership when I had continuing trouble after receiving the car back after the cylinder head replacement. The new dealership said the Valvematic (thier words) needed replaced, but Valvematic is a system, I think, not a single thing. There is a long list of parts I have. If I get 4th cylinder misfire code again I will arbitrate for replacement vehicle. That would be the fourth 4th cylinder misfire code. They have given me a free extended warranty, 125,000 miles or 8 years, which I appreciate (after I asked for it twice). That takes me to 2021, and I could probably still get a pretty penny for it if there is no more trouble. It will have pretty low miles.

Understand your loyalty. I def had bad luck with this one. Am forced to hang onto it for a while due to the money I would lose if I sold or traded right now. I've only looked at KBB. But after I've had a chance to drive my car for a little while and think about it I may see what a dealer would give me for it. I pimped my Corolla with alloy wheels, fog lights, beveled strips on the side, the door sill plates that say Corolla. And I bought the $500 interior/exterior protectant. My LE Eco Plus 4 Dr Sdn was 22,300, all said and done with taxes, delivery, et al. I would lose at least 7K today, according to KBB.
Check your State Lemon Law. You might legally be entitled to either the purchase price refund or a replacement vehicle.

Cindy

Check your State Lemon Law. You might legally be entitled to either the purchase price refund or a replacement vehicle.
12000 miles or 1 year or expiration of express warranty in PA. Some states give your twice that much time/mileage. Thx. Arbitration by the independent panel (?) is a recourse I will take if it codes again.

12000 miles or 1 year or expiration of express warranty in PA. Some states give your twice that much time/mileage. Thx. Arbitration by the independent panel (?) is a recourse I will take if it codes again.
Yup! Make sure you keep all the service logs etc. My boss is replacing his wife's 2012 BMW X5 because the engine keeps leaking oil and they will go by the Florida Lemon Law to get it done.

Hi. My trac off and check engine lights would not stay off. Service Department advised that the Codes that registered mean a cylinder head needs replaced. I am, uh, in shell shock. My first Corolla. I thought I was set with dependability, tlongevity and all the Corolla trepresents. I did buy it in September 2013, so it may have been early off the assembly line ? Does anyone know what may have caused this? I'm thinking a manufacturer's defect or something else in the car caused it to go bad. There are 4 cylinder heads, and of course I have to wonder about the others. It's under warranty, but I am thinking I may have had bad luck with this one. Should I get rid of it? Thoughts, advice and Mechanical Knowledge 101 are appreciated. Thank you for reading this.
Well take I
Hi. My trac off and check engine lights would not stay off. Service Department advised that the Codes that registered mean a cylinder head needs replaced. I am, uh, in shell shock. My first Corolla. I thought I was set with dependability, longevity and all the Corolla represents. I did buy it in September 2013, so it may have been early off the assembly line ? Does anyone know what may have caused this? I'm thinking a manufacturer's defect or something else in the car caused it to go bad. There are 4 cylinder heads, and of course I have to wonder about the others. It's under warranty, but I am thinking I may have had bad luck with this one. Should I get rid of it? Thoughts, advice and Mechanical Knowledge 101 are appreciated. Thank you for reading this.
take the car to the dealer cause its a factory defect or just tell them u dont want it talk to ur lawyer thats all