2015 Corolla - Automatic Transmission

How about this, Toyota calls their *L* automatic transmission a "4 speed" but does it Really have 3 shift points (1-2, 2-3 and 3-4)? Is there actually a 4th gear?
My thinking is on the gear shift selector you have "1", "2", "3" and "D" gated to "3" and all "D" does is allow the transmission to shift through 1st 2nd and 3rd. Hence 3 speeds.

TIA

well, if you count the shift points while your driving then after the 3rd shift point you will be in fourth. D is fourth gear and if someone wants to "gear" down why would there be a 4 to select? when you shift out of D then you are in 3 and so on, hence why there is 1-2-3-D (4). when in 1 the tranny will not shift out of 1st, when in 2 it will start out in 1 then shift into 2 and will not shift out of 2nd so on. when in D it will shift through all gears.

well, if you count the shift points while your driving then after the 3rd shift point you will be in fourth. D is fourth gear and if someone wants to "gear" down why would there be a 4 to select? when you shift out of D then you are in 3 and so on, hence why there is 1-2-3-D (4). when in 1 the tranny will not shift out of 1st, when in 2 it will start out in 1 then shift into 2 and will not shift out of 2nd so on. when in D it will shift through all gears.
I don't feel a down shift or see the RPMs going up when moving the shifter from "D" to "3".

at what speed are you down shifting? if your not going fast enough to be in 4 and you move it over to 3 then there will not be a change. if you are at high speed at you move it you will feel a shift down. if the later is the case then the tranny might not be shifting into overdrive (4) and you will need to take it to the dlr. I would suggest you take it to a competent dlr that knows what kind of tranny the vehicles they sell have. the L model does not have a CVT

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
Drive on the highway in D and make sure you are at 50-60MPH. Then, shift into 3 and you will notice that you have downshifted because the RPM's will go up. I use this whenever I overtake someone.