2016 Toyota Corolla S Special Edition - Gas Mileage

I recently purchased the new love of my life about 5 months ago with 22k miles on it. I am only getting 27.5 MPG on it though...

Is this normal? How can I maximize the MPG?

delrey

What type of driving are you doing? Mainly highway, city, or mixture of both? I get about 28mpg with a lot of short trips in a small town. On long trips I get mid 30's.

I live about 5 minutes away from my job in Sacramento. Its mainly city driving which I understand will reduce MPG. Just trying to compare.

Also, have you received the JSD recall for your CVT? Do you know the difference between the J0D recall that was suspended and the JSD service campaign that was started not too long ago?

delrey

I just bought mine end of October. It was certified and according to Toyotas website, my car received the JSD. I never got to drive my car before it was done so I cannot compare how much better the cvt opporates. But in its current state, the cvt works just fine.

City driving (especially stop and go with fast acceleration / deceleration), short trips, S bigger wheels... all contribute to less MPG

How do bigger wheels do that?
All other things being equal (with Corolla, 15”, 16” and 17” having a same total diameter), bigger tires are heavier and wider, hence more friction thus inertia.

When I bought my 2014 LE Eco, the “Plus” option bigger wheels came with an official 1 mpg penalty (other fancier equipment like GPS and fog lights being non relevant to MPG).

C&D did a comparison, a few years ago, using a VW Golf with identical tires and wheels but of different sizes and results were in line with this scale of MPG loss between sizes.

Bigger means better road-handling but at the cost of MPG, comfort and even… acceleration, contrary to the image sometimes associate with them.

Bigger means better road-handling but at the cost of MPG, comfort and even… acceleration, contrary to the image sometimes associate with them.
I've actually been pondering smaller wheels, as I understand that having more sidewall improves the ride. Does the extra sidewall also degrade the road-handling?

I have a 2018 LE, it gets 29 - 32 mpg. I make a lot of short trips, as well as stop and go traffic. When I reset just before a long highway drive it's in the high 30sm or even low 40s for purely highway driving, IIRC - but that fades quickly as my normal driving catches up with me.

I've actually been pondering smaller wheels, as I understand that having more sidewall improves the ride. Does the extra sidewall also degrade the road-handling?
Yes. Yet other factors come into consideration: tire thread purpose and quality, driving conditions most encountered (wider loses its advantages on wet, snowy, icy road), engineering of the car, personal preferences/priorities... Any car configuration, especially tires, is a compromise.

Yes. Yet other factors come into consideration: tire thread purpose and quality, driving conditions most encountered (wider loses its advantages on wet, snowy, icy road), engineering of the car, personal preferences/priorities... Any car configuration, especially tires, is a compromise.
Yeah, I get into analysis-paralysis whenever I think of it.

I have a 2018 LE, it gets 29 - 32 mpg. I make a lot of short trips, as well as stop and go traffic. When I reset just before a long highway drive it's in the high 30sm or even low 40s for purely highway driving, IIRC - but that fades quickly as my normal driving catches up with me.
I second this. This description sounds like what I've experienced as well. If I were to drive on the highway right after filling up, I could get into high 30s mpg, 40s if I'm going downhill, lol! But by the end of the week of driving about 40% Highway and 60% streets, it would drop into the low 30s and even high 20s if I've driven "aggressively". If Ican end my week at 32 MPG, it would have been a "good week" Currently I'm at 31.5 MPG driving on the highway to work and streets for my other trips (again, at about 40% Highway and 60% streets).

Having said this, sometimes I'm disappointed at this especially thinking about how the Elantra and Civic gets better mileage with a more power engine. I'm banking on the Rolla's rep for reliability to make me sleep better at night for passing up Elantra and Civic for my Corolla.

Br.

If Ican end my week at 32 MPG, it would have been a "good week" Currently I'm at 31.5 MPG driving on the highway to work and streets for my other trips (again, at about 40% Highway and 60% streets). Having said this, sometimes I'm disappointed at this especially thinking about how the Elantra and Civic gets better mileage with a more power engine.
32 mpg would be a bad week for me... Just saying that "results will vary" and so would they in real life with another model, especially small turbos that are better in EPA test than real driving (if its any consolation ;))

32 mpg would be a bad week for me... Just saying that "results will vary" and so would they in real life with another model, especially small turbos that are better in EPA test than real driving (if its any consolation ;))
Yea I understand ... just thinking about some of the reports I've read...saying even under real driving conditions, the Elantras and Civics still get better mileage with an overall more powerful engine. Also, Toyota says the CVTs are supposed to get better mileage but my sister's 8-9 y/o (2010), non CVT AT Corolla still gets the same mileage as mine, when I drive her car on my routes. Sigh...

Br.

delrey

My 2011 S got the same mileage as my current 2017 LE. It's the engine. An old design that did well when new but way behind newer competition in terms of power and efficiency. Hopefully the new 2.0 takes care of these 'problems' while maintaining the reliability.

An old design that did well when new but way behind newer competition in terms of power and efficiency.Hopefully the new 2.0 takes care of these 'problems' while maintaining the reliability.
Yeah. I don't know why they don't push more the Eco (Valvematic) version : slightly more power and almost on par with newer competition EPA ratings. Mine is at 39 mpg over 5 years (hand calculated). From what I understand, the 2.0L will only be in "S" versions with an 1.8L (the same?) for others.

EdMc

I have made two 250 mile highway trips with my 2016 LE and got a calculated 44 MPG on both. Most of time I was going 65 mph and using cruise control as much as possible.